• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Steering column floor plate

Started by 29UJohn, September 03, 2017, 10:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

29UJohn

I purchased a steering colum floor plate and a gear shift floor plate from Steel Rubber. The gear shift floor plate fit perfectly.  However, the steering column floor plate had to be modified to fit my car. I had to raise the two slots for the pedals about 1/2 inch. I filled in the lower portion by glueing patches on the back.  These are expensive high quality products.  But not sure why the steering column cover did not fit. I wish I had kept the original one, but it was in awful shape.
John
1929U 4 Dr

chetbrz

John,

I bought one of these around 2006 and had the same issue.  I just figured it was my car that was the issue (or the installer).  You are right the gear shift cover fit no problem.

I guess the steering wheel hole is 1/2" to close to the top of the mate.  If it was cut lower the peddles might have fit better.  Mine was also off side to side which is probably my car. 

If I get another one of these I think I will make a template and align it to the new mat before I cut any holes or I'll just use my old one.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

29UJohn

I also had to trim the slots a little to the side, about 1/8 inch or 3/16.

I finally got the floor mat installed and the kick panels.  I decided to screw the kick panels in to make it easier to remove them and the floor mat when I have to replace the battery.

I have enough material left from the running boards that I will be able to make floor mats to put over the installed floor mat.
John
1929U 4 Dr

chetbrz

They Look good installed.  Dose your car have metal brackets securing the wooden hinge pillar to the floor ?
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

29UJohn

Yes, and they are pretty hefty.  I will have to look and see if I might have a picture.  Didn't think about that.

Attached are two pictures of the right front pillar.  The lower bracket is firmly screwed to the floor and the pillar.  In the second picture you can see the machine bolt that passes through the pillar. (The brown triangular spot on the second picture is a reflection.)

You can also see the brace that wraps around the inside of the cowling and attaches to both pillars.

John
1929U 4 Dr

29UJohn

See below for pictures of the front pillar braces
John
1929U 4 Dr

chetbrz

Thanks for the pictures.  I wish I had brackets like yours it would have made my work a little easier.  The brackets I have are different but appear to be very old.  The hinge pillar bracket is sitting on top of the front cowl bracket.