• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Hub Puller

Started by Gary 30U, August 08, 2010, 05:18:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary 30U

I have been looking for over a year and haven't found one yet.

I NEED A HUB PULLER FOR MY 30U. One of my rear wheels needs spokes replaced. Anyone that has a spare I sure could use it.

No one in the club seems to have one either.

Thanks, Gary

Rusty

A ford model TT ( not model T) one ton truck hub puller will work, same threads.  Just google model T parts places and they should have one.
rusty

Fendermender

Hi Gary,
They are real easy to make.
I made one for the 29

Just take the dust cover and have a macinest thread a 2'' long piece of pipe inside, cap one end and weld a nut on it. Then find a long bolt and voila a hub puller.
Worked for me.
Cheers and good luck.

Gary 30U

You guys are something else. Thanks.

I actually ordered one of the "TT" pullers from one of the Ford parts suppliers.

I will sure try the dust cover conversion as I have several old beat up covers.

Thanks again,

Gary

Fendermender

Gary,
Hope I didn't misslead you, the dust cover was for the machinist to measure the threads.
They are turned inside the pipe, sorry for not making myself clear.

Good luck to you.
Cheers

Gary 30U

HI everyone. For some time now I have been waiting for a machinst to make me a hub puller. One of the fellows in the club had him make a mandrel for holding hub cap/grease caps while cleaning and polishing. It works just super. Because he had the external measurements and thread count we thought it would be easy for him to make internal threads and make us a hub puller. He assures us that he will do it, but is just to busy.

So after getting the Ford TT info I went ahead and ordered the Ford Model TT hub puller from Mac's in Lockport, NY. Didn't come this past week, so hopefully next week.

Another fellow told be that I might get the wheel loose by taking out the washer behind the nut and replaceing the nut and cotter key and just drive the car for a while. Well I tried it, and the first four times I tried nothing happened. Last week my neighbor came over and I told him I wanted him to drive my Buick (with digital speedometer) and follow me in the Plymouth to check the speedometer reading. He actually used his GPS hand held unit and we went for a ride. Well the speedometer is really close, and guess what, the wheel came loose. Now I could really check out the spokes.

Well during all this I rembered that if you soak the spokes in water they will tighten up. You know, PARK IN THE CREEK. I put the wheel in a tub of water for 24 hours and walla, the spokes are as tight as new. But, now I guess I should pull the other rear wheel and do the fronts as well.

Another little part to this story. I find that a friend of the family is a firefighter in a department that has an old fire engine that has wood wheels. Every week that he is on duty on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday, he says one of his duties is to take the squirt water bottle and wet down the spokes on the engine so they don't dry out.

I will post and let you know if the TT puller really fits.

Gary