• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Gas tank mounting

Started by 1929luv, May 22, 2011, 08:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1929luv

I am ready to put my gas tank in and do not know what goes up on top between frame and tank.  It had a home made tank in it and it was just tighten with straps to frame.  I think there should be something on top of tank because it just hits the seams on outer edge of tank. So any mounting instructions would be helpful. Thanks Craig

SDGlenn

I have seen a "belting" approximately 1/8  in thick, across the two highest parts of the tank that rub.   Should work anyhow. Someone with a like tank will maybe put in here with something different.. lol
Glenn
SDGlenn

chetbrz

If I remember correctly when I put in my tank the frame you are referring to had a bracket mount that was tapered to accommodate the upper curvature of the tank while also accommodating the lower mounting straps.  I believe I used strips of rubber material top and bottom to cushion the tank.  I used the original tank so if you are using a fabricated tank your mounting might be different.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

1929luv

i am using the origanol tank now some one had a fabricated tank in it and i guess they took those bracket out.  were your weld in frame. does any one hav pictures thanks Craig

chetbrz

Craig,

I have no pictures of the bracket assembly.  As far as the mounting is concerning I don't remember if it was welded.  I doubt it since the main frame assembly is bolted together I doubt if this bracket was welded on as a matter of fact I am pretty sure it wasn't. 

If no one has a picture, this weekend I will be able to crawl under the car and see if I could snap a picture of the bracket.  I don't know how much would be visible.  Probably take the old girl out for a spin this weekend.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Gary 30U

The parts book lists (in the gas tank section) supports straps and "Anti-squeak (liner)". It indicates 2 needed for the Q, U, PA, PB, PC and PD.

For the 30-U it lists "Anti-squeak (to rear cross member lining). Also 2 needed.

Not sure what these were, as my car didn't have any.

Just info.

I didn't use anything on my car as there wasn't anything there before, but probably a good idea to use some belting or rubber.

Gary

Doug

When I took my tank out it had some felt between the tank and mounts but I do not remember how it looked. If I get a chance I will get under it and take a picture

Gary 30U

Here are two pictures of the tank mounted in my 30U. The straps are simple flat (thin) pieces welded to a flattened bolt like piece. This strap is adjustable for length as it is just stuck through the slot in the rear amd bent forward under itself. The strap is then extended forward under the tank and inserted into the front bracket holder and a washer and not attached.

Gary

Gary 30U

Second picture, file to big.

chetbrz

Here are mine.  1929 4 door sedan.

Chet...

29plycoop

I'm preparing to mount the gas tank in my 29 Ply coupe so will post a few photos of the original gas tank mounting straps.  Will try to add them to this post tomorrow.  My fuel line runs from the vacuum tank up front along the frame back to just over the the gas tank. There is a (1929) flare fitting at that end and is half way across the frame cross member.  Can anyone tell me how the gas line runs from this point to the brass fitting that is located on the center line of the tank?  Why would the (I believe original) gas line stop at this point?  Is this just a place for a splice or a 90 deg fitting or a special fitting at this point?  Thanks for any info on this project. Photos tomorrow (SEE THE NEXT PHOTOS POSTED AS THEY ARE THE SAME AS MINE. THANKS GLENN)- Rich
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.

29roadster

Hi Rich here is a pic of my fuel line and fuel tank bracket  Glenn

29plycoop

Glenn - Thanks for the photo. Looks as if the gas line went straight down to the tank fitting. The tank mount photos you show are the same that I have so will note in my answer to see them. thanks - Rich
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.

1929luv

Thanks I see the metal top bracket that I am missing thanks a bunch Craig

29roadster

The top metal bracket is made of 1/8 metal strap and the bottom is 1/16 strap, if you need more info just yell