• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

28 Q U-Joints

Started by rwollman, February 16, 2015, 10:06:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rwollman

would anyone know of a torque value for the bolts that hold the u joints?  I have cut 5 new discs on my lathe and one would think that there should be a specified torque on the bolts rather than just "tight".  The 7/16" bolts are pretty stout so I would think they would handle 60-70 ft pds without too much trouble but I don't see any reason to overtighten them other than to collapse the buckle plates.  Any thoughts or info would be appreciated....Too bad there was never an assembly manual for these cars as it would make life a lot simpler. 

ski

Mine are cotter pinned so I think as tight as the disc material can handle would be the limiting factor.  I snugged mine good and went to the next hole being careful.

ski

chetbrz

Quote from: ski on February 17, 2015, 06:29:00 PM
Mine are cotter pinned so I think as tight as the disc material can handle would be the limiting factor.  I snugged mine good and went to the next hole being careful.

ski

I agree with ski, hand tight should work fine.  For safety, you want to use bolts that have carter pin holes. 

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

rwollman

thanks for the replies gentlemen