• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Upohlstery Project '29 Plymouth Coupe

Started by 29plycoop, November 29, 2013, 07:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

29plycoop

As winter weather is here it is time to bring projects inside and start on upholstery. It will not be an all out original, just original looking with improvements. Someone has reupholstered the complete interior, more just covered up the original cloth with a gray fuzzy fabric. That was good because it left intact the original material and design. The first panel removed was from the right hand door. In trying to verify the details of what was uncovered the following information will be more of questions. if you can verify the information please advise and thank you. The door panel is rectangle in shape with two holes for handles and one hole for the exterior door handle screw at the back edge. Then a hole cut out where the side door pouch was installed. The dimensions for these can be furnished if needed. Interesting point#1, The pouch was sewn to size with a canvas strap (not sure if elastic) across the top and sewn to a piece of door panel cardboard of the same configuration as the pouch. Question: My pouch material was cut away just leaving the edges around the cutout and they had a piece of cardboard to fill the hole to recover the panel. Was the pouch pleated, and would anyone have a photo of an original pouch? Then it was sewn to the back side of the already upholstered door panel and the pouch just protruded through the hole.
As it seems the original fabric on the door is a red canvas on back and an Olive green grained leatherette. Most of the fabric exposed has turned Black but in hidden places when unrolled it is the Olive Green. Question: Just for the record would that color be correct? I am going with a fuzzy upholstery, just wondering. Will attach few photos to help see what this project looks like. The door panel had tack stripes on three sides to nail it to the door. The top panel fabric laid over the edge about 3/4 in. and stapled in place. Then the metal door sill plate screwed in to covered it.
The seats have been reupholstered at some time and they will be done again, the Question is, how wide were the pleats on an original seat? The ones in mine are about 5 in. Thanks for any info  Rich Trouble loading photos, will try one at a time.
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.

Crazydave

I'll try and get some pictures and measurements taken for you, I have original interior. 

kimmc

29Plycoop: I am sending you a picture of the original interior panel with pouch on my '29 coupe.  I believe the pouch originally was elastic and pleated, but I can check that if you want.  If you have other specific questions or need other pictures just let me know.  Glad to help if I can.  Kim Mc

29plycoop

[size=12 pt]Dave and Kim
Thank you for the info and photo in a fast reply. A picture is worth a 1000 words. It will be a great help with style and size of the door pouch. While waiting to get two new cardboard door panels I will start on a sample pouch. Thinking of going with upholstery glue instead of sewing the pouch assy. to the door panel. If your seat in the photo is original, what is the width of the pleats?  Thanks again  Rich..... [/size]

kimmc

Hey Rich.  I am attaching 2 more pictures.  Interestingly, the driver's door does not have a pouch in the interior panel.  Perhaps this is because it is the Business Coupe, which I presume pretty much mean "no frills".  The seat is the original leather I believe; the car was originally my great grandfather's and was pretty much original when I received it about 60 yrs ago.  The pleats of both the seat and back are 4 inches wide.  Hope this helps.  mc

29plycoop

MC
Thank you again. This will give me the info to start cutting seat material. Will put a photo on after there is something to show.  FYI..... It was almost 60 deg. here in the mid-west today, and by next Thursday they say snow is in the forecast. That situation is not unusual for this time of year. That will give me a chance to go out and take a few measurements then retreat back inside to the sewing machine.  Am considering a pouch on both doors. Would that make it a DELUXE Business Coupe? HaHa!   HAPPY HOLIDAYS!  Rich

Old Man

The pouch did have elastic in the opening. This died with age and the pouch sagged open eventually. The pouch was not "pleated" per se but it had to have extra material to allow the pouch to open up with the elastic. In other words the elastic was tacked at each end and the pouch was free to slide open because it had extra material forming a "tube" over the elastic. Am I making sense? (Had 2 of them redone many moons ago.)

Crazydave

I have a sedan, it has a pouch on the front passenger side door and not the drivers. It also has a pouch on the drivers side rear door but not the passengers side rear. I took pictures of the rear door pouch because of ease of access and lighting. It has the same dimensions as the passenger side front.

Crazydave

Crazydave

My cloth seat pleats are just under four inches

29plycoop

Dave
Thanks for the photos with dimensions. I plan on starting to cut material Monday for the door panels and pouches. Will put photos on later.....  Rich   

chetbrz

I was told that the driver's side door didn't come with a map pouch only the passenger side door, can anyone verify.  Also I have no pouches in the rear of my car ?

http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

frankp

In the for what it's worth department, an unrestored '30U 4dr sedan had a pouch on passenger front door and driver's side rear door.  This is as Dave has explained for his '29U.  The style of the pocket is different, however.

Rich,  Great that you are able to work on your interior.  Wish I had the skills.

frank
frank p

chetbrz

Sorry.., I seem to be getting a little senile.   This thread verifies that the 28 - 30 four door sedan had a map pouch on the passenger side front door and the driver's side rear.  I guess in the 20's they encouraged back seat driving. 

You know it's funny when the wife and I are lost I rely on the GPS while she reaches for the map.  In the old days I guess a vague understanding of N,S,E, & West was good enough for the driver while the wife lectured you on the benefits of map ownership.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member