• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

POC National meet in Tucson

Started by SDGlenn, March 13, 2013, 02:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SDGlenn

Is there anybody on this site that is going to Tucson in April for the National Meet? Have you got a convoy? I plan on driving the 39 down from Eastern SD, anyone I can hook up with?
Later, SD Glenn
SDGlenn

Tinkeys

Hi Glen !
If there is a long bridge I wouldn't mind driving 34 across with you
Cheers Tony

frankp

Glenn,

I wish mine was road worthy, (wish I was!)  Of course you could drive circles around me.

A local Ply club member was pretty emphatic when he said "No!" he wouldn't travel with me because I went too slow; this trip was only about 200 miles.  At least he was forthright, no one else said a word.

Safe trip!  It will be a fun adventure!
frank
frank p

kimmc

Hi Glenn.  I am planning on driving my '35 Deluxe sedan (unrestored original) from Lodi CA to Tucson (almost 1000 mi one way!).  I hope this is not a half-baked idea but at least I will be traveling with others from the northern CA area (POC Golden State Region).  Although I won't be anywhere near your route, I sure hope we can meet while we are there.  Maybe we can figure out a way to do that.  Have a safe trip.  Kim

chetbrz

Glenn,

I hope to retire soon so that I can have time for functions like this.  Well currently the only thing stopping me form retirement is money.   But soon... real soon.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

SDGlenn

Hey Chet, retirement is a state of mind (I think). You just have to prioritize where and what you can do or want to do. Cut out a bit for the things you used to do, figure out cheaper ways to do things. Get back to the way things were in years past, you know... like helping friends and them helping you, saves a lot of cash for both sides. Get all the children out on their own and get a two bedroom house for you and your spouse, so they can visit but not move back in. lol  Mine want to keep moving back in  I guess I probable did the same thing............ Takes a little to figure it all out but worth it. Hope to meet a bunch of new friends in Tucson, really looking forward to it.  Besides, this morning at 8 AM it was -10 degrees and we have about 2 feet of hard snow and 2 feet of Ice on the lake yet, most of my family take their first dip in the lake on Easter, it is usually very cold... This year it might still be very hard, and it is supposed to be spring. Maybe it is spring to Tucson.............
Take  care
SD Glenn
SDGlenn

chetbrz

Glenn,

I agree with you.  I have been tweaking down the expense dials for a while now.    I planned on pulling the plug this year but ran into some health issues that need to be cleared up while I still have excellent health care.  Should be ready by first quarter of next year.    Biggest problem I face is that the wife is now working full time and doesn't want to retire.  The retirement home is out in Delaware and we now both work in Virginia.  I on the other hand have been chasing the illustrious dollar for a half century now and wish to take time to smell the flowers before I become plant food.   On the other hand she spent lots of time at home with the kids and enjoys working and socializing with her coworkers.   Go figure,  a difference of viewpoints.  How strange is that?  :o

Stay tuned,  Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Old Man

Just another viewpoint on retirement. Take it as soon as you can afford it. Make sure the mortgage is paid off. Do not go into retirement with a mortgage hanging over your head. Ratchet down to good used cars/trucks and stop acquiring 'stuff'. The time for buying 'stuff' because you just want to have it is over. Start getting rid of 'stuff' that you bought years ago and get some money for it because the kid's will just give it away. It means nothing to them. Start travelling NOW. It doesn't matter really where,just start now. At 65 you're only 15 years off 80 in case you've never done the math. Health insurance to travel abroad after 80 for 2 people is prohibitive. Start playing full time with your hobbies, the house will be here after you're gone. Do not make any large additions/changes to the house or your life style. You need the money to enjoy yourselves over the next 15 years or so. Your health slowly deteriorates. This is a given. You will  most likely find out as we did these are NOT the 'golden years' they are the 'rusty years'. And lastly, and the most sad, you will start to lose your friends and relatives at an alarming rate. You will come to fear answering the phone because someone will be telling you so-n-so is gone. And then they may be phoning around to tell everybody YOU've passed on. I'm looking at 70 in a year or so. I'm in good health per se but all the foregoing is personal knowledge and highly recommended.          

SDGlenn

Old Man, you are not that old. A person is only as old as he lets him/herself believe they are.  I will be 72 in a few days, and think of myself as early 50s. (maybe don't look it but feel it) Luckily do not take any medications (yet - cross my fingers) I keep doing hobby stuff and traveling around as much as possible visiting old friends and relatives. I do not do some of the things I used to do, as water skiing, riding snowmobiles, stock cars, demo derbies. etc. Can't take the chance of hurting myself, at my age. lol  These are both the "Golden Years" and the "Rusty Years",  My joints are getting stiff and don't want to move very easy (that part is the rust I guess) I just move a bit slower and I get along fine. I do miss the friends and relatives that have gone before, but I will see them again down the road, and Always remember the times we had when they were here.  Don't be feared of old age, everybody gets it. I didn't start the old cars hobby until I retired, seem I was always "to busy" making a living.  This hobby fits my life style better, not as fast or as hectic, I'm just " taken it easy"  See you all at Tucson.
Take care of you all.
SD Glenn
SDGlenn

chetbrz

Quote from: Old Man on March 22, 2013, 11:04:30 AM
Just another viewpoint on retirement. Take it as soon as you can afford it. Make sure the mortgage is paid off. Do not go into retirement with a mortgage hanging over your head. Ratchet down to good used cars/trucks and stop acquiring 'stuff'. The time for buying 'stuff' because you just want to have it is over. Start getting rid of 'stuff' that you bought years ago and get some money for it because the kid's will just give it away. It means nothing to them. Start travelling NOW. It doesn't matter really where,just start now. At 65 you're only 15 years off 80 in case you've never done the math. Health insurance to travel abroad after 80 for 2 people is prohibitive. Start playing full time with your hobbies, the house will be here after you're gone. Do not make any large additions/changes to the house or your life style. You need the money to enjoy yourselves over the next 15 years or so. Your health slowly deteriorates. This is a given. You will  most likely find out as we did these are NOT the 'golden years' they are the 'rusty years'. And lastly, and the most sad, you will start to lose your friends and relatives at an alarming rate. You will come to fear answering the phone because someone will be telling you so-n-so is gone. And then they may be phoning around to tell everybody YOU've passed on. I'm looking at 70 in a year or so. I'm in good health per se but all the foregoing is personal knowledge and highly recommended.          

No offense but your post is pretty depressing.  No offense again but I think I prefer Glenn's attitude. 

Chet...

Old Man

The 'Old Lady' has arthritis bad. I believe all woman get it eventually. More so than men. She is just a couple of years behind me. Since '05 I've spent 5 extended visits in the hospital with her having bone repairs. Two trips resulted in ambulances. A month ago she went out front and slipped on the ice and broke her left femur. A trip to the hospital in an ambulance and a 3 hour immediate emergency operation resulted. She now has a Stryker Gamma Nail in her leg. (Google it up on the internet. Photos come up in Youtube.) And she had been, and still is waiting, to have her right knee replaced with a metal joint. Her left knee was done 4 years ago. She will have an MRI next week to begin again the replacement of her right knee which was interupted with the fall. Depressing? Somewhat. Thankfully it's all paid for by the government. Hopefully once the right knee is done she won't fall again. The fall,besides being caused by the ice, was a result of her stiff right knee. Otherwise she is in great shape. LOL Sorry if I'm being depressing. I just know most of us using these sites for antique cars/trucks are in their 50s,60s and 70s and are antiques themselves. Moneywise we have been wise. We have 7 pensions between us some just a couple of hundred a month. But we will do alright as we have no mortgage. And I buy 5 year old 'cream puffs' and do the repairs myself. But yes the biggest shock was the constant losing of friends in the hobby. We take a couple of trips a year to Cuba and drive on long trips around North America. She wants to go to Scotland to see where her mother was born and raised. If we can ever settle the mobility issue that's where we're going next. I guess the reason I'm telling everybody this is if someone may wonder if they need to put it in 'high gear' as time is getting short. Yes the truth may be depressing but if you want to see that Plymouth finished and on the road, I would hustle. You never know.               

SDGlenn

Old Man, you and your spouse have my sympathy.  I understand the troubles Arthritis cause, you have the worst, take it easy and take care of her, she is special. And good luck with getting your trip in, sometimes we need to stop and "Smell the Roses" along the way. This is also a good place to vent sometimes, I have done the same.  Take care of you
SDGlenn
SDGlenn

chetbrz

Old Man,

And I hate calling you that, I agree that getting old isn't for the weak hearted.   Even throughout the course of a lifetime there are daily events that have a tendency to knock the wind out of our sails.  My sister-in-law is in her early fifties and fighting metastasized stage 4 lung cancer, spine and brain.   (Nonsmoker)  She is amazing and has such a positive attitude.  Every day to her is a gift and I think it is going on 2.5 years since she got the diagnosis.  She runs her own business and ballroom dances as a hobby, goes out to dinner with friends as often as possible and loves to entertain.   The doctors don't even understand how she can walk let alone dance.., and she's good at it.  I wish you and your wife well.  In the words of that reggae song "don't worry, be happy".  Even with all the troubles..,  life's good.  Sad sometimes.., but good.   As far as your advise about living life in high gear, I believe that's good advise for any age group.

Chet...