• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

carburetor for 29 U & 30 U

Started by seasand, September 15, 2015, 01:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seasand

Does anyone know what make carburetor was used on the 29 U? Also what carburetor was used on the 30 U when they switched from vacuum tank to a fuel pump? Was it the same?
George

frankp

29U was a Carter RT-08.  Cast in lower base.  Don't know 30U.  RT on your left, carter DRT-08 on right.    frank

frank p

Gary 30U

I think Frank is correct. The RT-08 on the 28, 29 and early 30U. The DRT-08 (much easier to fine) used on the late 30-U and 31 and 32.

Just my guess.

Gary R.

seasand

So the DRT-08 was used in conjunction with fuel pumps. Does that sound correct?

Old Man

Boy frank those bowls are REALLY dirty. They should very shiny brass. BTW the same bowl was used on Chevs in those years. I know because the Plymouth bowls split from frezzing up here and we all had to find new ones when we were restoring ours.

frankp

You're right Old Man, They are dirty!  For some reason I have never been able to get a good seal, bowl to body, or maybe the float level adjusted incorrectly.  Going along fine with no leaks and suddenly it will start.  Have to be in the float/needle valve, but what produces the inconsistency?  Debris in the valve seat I suppose.

Have to laugh.  When Dave first started his engine, he cleaned his carb and reassembled without bowl gasket.  I confidently told him it was sure to leak - ha!  Not a drop!
frank p

Old Man

Original cars I found had a red rubber sealing ring between bowl and carb. Exactly the same as my wife's sealing jars! I used cork (that I can still buy in sheets of different thicknesses )from my local car parts place.

frankp

Paper gaskets are supplied with today's re-build kits, so that is what I use.  Had to clean carb yesterday and put a bit of polish to the bowl.
frank p