• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Tire repair

Started by SDGlenn, January 12, 2011, 07:52:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chetbrz

Quote from: Glenn on January 17, 2011, 10:47:59 PM
Hi Chet, I'm not sure if you were understanding the type of rim I have. The tool is not needed at all on this rim, and you can not lift one end of the rim over the other.  This lever will not give any sideways movement, and when you move this lever to the open position it holds the rim compressed to put the tire and tube on, then release it to complete the operation. Jim sent me that post info and I did print it out, thanks.
Later,
glenn

Glenn, 

I think we are talking about the same thing although it's been a long time since I changed my tires.  I remember thinking that this lever would do what you said but I couldn't budge them with out using the tool and disconnecting the lever.  Did you use some type of tool to attach to the lever for more leverage ?

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

SDGlenn

Hi Chet,
Not sure... anyhow, I used an 6 inch extention from my 3/8 socket set. The 3/8 female end of the extention fit over a nipple on the tip of lever, pull toward the center of the wheel till the lever pops over center, it will stay in that possition untill you put the extention back on and trip it back to the closed position. It was pretty easy to pull it open. This lever does not disconect. It was an easy operation, this time anyhow. lol  Looks like all my wheels are the same, except the spare. The spare has a clip that uses a cotter pin in it to hold it closed, then uses the tire tool to compress it. I have seen one other type that will disconnect the lever for removal. There must be a lot of different rims out there. lol
Glenn
SDGlenn

Tinkeys

My 30u has a cam lever on each rim had to repair 1 lever today as I just purchased 5 new tyres, getting old tyre of the rim was not to hard ! Getting rim of the car  was another matter ,tying to seperate wood spoke rim from tyre rim (must be an easer way )
Must be a technique to it !!

SDGlenn

Good Morning too you, You are up and around kinda earley... I don't know of any special trick to get the rims seperated, just had to watch out for the valve stem so I didn't tear it off, had to do a bit of juggling and moving it around then it kinda fell off. LOL, evidently it had to be in a certain position. Good luck with that...
Later, Glenn
SDGlenn