• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

snap

Started by Rusty, March 02, 2010, 03:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty

My engine went in with perfectly.  No a problem at all.  I then installed the flywheel and then the clutch.  The transmission was a little tight at the front bearing retainer I had made and is a few thousands tight but not a major problem.  I then tighten the clutch to flywheel bolts as I had just had them loosely tight and then SNAP.  A bolt snapped in haft.  I then had to remove everything to get the flywheel off so I could go back to the machine shop to have them drill out the bolt.  It broke about 1/8 inch below the surface and I did not want to take the chance of screwing up the threads.  3 steps forward and 5 backwards.  This is why project such as this take years.
rusty

Rodney

Hi Rusty,

I am in the middle of replacing my fly wheel/ring gear as I have a few teeth missing. I have removed the transmission but I am having some difficulty with dropping the clutch plate, fly wheel etc...

I have undone the fly wheel plate bolts but the three clutch release leavers on the pressure plate are caught on the clutch release fork.

Do I need to loosen the release leaver clamp screws?

Many thanks
Rodney

Rusty

You could that as that  is what I did the first time but  a much easier way is to remove the two bolts that hold a retainer to the bell housing which the clutch fork goes thru.  If a all the pedal are removed from this shaft (clutch fork shaft) the retainer will slide off .  Then pull the clutch fork as far possible to the driver side and then angle the passenger side down and it should just come out of the bell housing.  If you have some of the cluthc bolts off/loose, you may need to reintall the clutch plate to give a little extra room to get the shaft out.  THe problem with removing the clutch fingers is rebuilding.  If you are going to have somebody rebuild the pressure plate, not a problem but if you were planing on reusing the plate,  you will screw up orginial "settings" of those fingers, or at least I did.

I had two fingers that had the end ground away and seazed throwout bearing.  Total cost was 300 buck at fort wayne clutch to rebuild the pressure plate, reline the disk, 2 NOS fingers and machine the plate surface flat and a new throwout bearing.
rusty

Rodney

Hi Rusty,

Thanks i will give it a go today, I will let you know how I get on.

many thanks, Rodney

Rusty

Hope that helps, are you just doing clutch work or a first step in pulling the engine?
rusty

Rodney

Just clutch work only.

All went well I replaced the pressure plate with a solid state one which requires no adjustments and a clutch plate and flywheel/ring gear.

Took it for a spin and its fantastic!

Thanks for your advice.  :)

Rodney.