• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Help needed

Started by imoore, October 22, 2012, 04:52:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imoore

First up the Q has developed a noise that comes and goes, hot or cold. i have only noticed it at idle. oil pressure is fine. It sounds valve clearance. Checked and with in spec.
If the car had hydraulic lash adjusters i say its that, but it hasn't.
I have a feeling its coming from the oil pump area, you can feel the noise aswell as hear it through the oil lines.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoYYbCtsris&feature=youtu.be

Second thing, i am tackling the front shackle as i think the front end is rock hard. i was able to remove 2 pins but the others are stuck. and of cause its the ones in the chassis. so can't press em out. Is there a trick that people have found to work best to remove them.
Also is there supposed to be a grease hole in them?

I also removed the front shockers and they were dated to 1960. So this has left a question was the car on the road still in the 60s or is this when the restoration began. A question that i will never know the answer to unfortunately.

Ian
1928 Q tourer (Holden bodied)
Several vintage stationary engine

Tinkeys

Sounds a little like valve train noise ,valve seats could be sticking with head of valves !
Timing chain to loose! Cam followers to sloppy in there bores !
With pins try lots of penatrine and heat that s not an easy one !
Good luck !

imoore

I did think it was valve area noise. But because it appears to be coming from oil pump, i am not sure. It also sounds as if it just quietens down but doesn't disappear. Oil pressure is constant

Old Man

There is no timing chain in a 4 cylinder Plymouth. The camshaft was run by a 'dry' fiber gear. Those red pressed gears you see on tables at fleamarkets. They're what is inside the front of all 4 cylinder Plymouth engines. They are dead quiet. Timing chains came out in the 6 cylinder Plymouth in 1933. (Which are also known for being quiet.)
 The only way to get out old pins in the spring shackles or king pins is to use an acet./oxy torch. The grease from 80 years ago has hardened into rock. You have to melt it down to get anything apart. Yes they do have a grease hole in the pin. Maybe a good high end propane torch like a plumber uses could do it,I use an acet./oxy torch. Couldn't live without it.    

1929luv

My dist. was sloopy and making noise and jumping on accation.  It was noisy.  Good luck Craig

imoore

I finally removed the pins out of the chassis. used a gas torch to heat it up and then made a puller using, all thread rod, a socket and 2 nuts. this pulled the pin into the socket. Worked a treat.  there is definitely no grease hole except through the centre.

Going to drill 2 holes in each tomorrow. refit and pack with grease, hopefully this makes the front softer.

Haven't investigated the noise yet but i am going to re check the pressure relief valve.

Old Man

I seem to remember a grease hole in the center of the pin and the housing in the shackle was reamed out inside to make an area for the grease to be held. The grease nipple was on the outside end of the shackle? The grease entered the nipple and ran into the pin filling it and then finally found the hole and entered the reamed out cavity to fill it. Grease in those days would run to a semi liquid in the heat and I assume they wanted the grease to run out of the pin cavity into the working cavity through the hole as the grease ran out of the shackle during use. Do I have wrong car? I know Plymouth spring shackles changed over the years. The '31 PAs were different than the early Q,U and 30Us. The '33s were VERY different again. (They are adjustable.)