• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

New Wood Wheel problem - ?

Started by chetbrz, October 05, 2013, 04:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary 30U

Chet, an interesting problem. I am assuming that we are talking about WOOD Wheels. In looking at the parts manual I wonder if we are looking in the correct area.

Could there be a difference in the spacing of the brake drum on 20" and 19" wheels based on having different hubs? In my Parts List there doesn't even appear to be a listing for US. Built Q's. There are all kinds of different hubs listed based on U.S. and Canadian built Q's, U's and 30U's. I wonder if there is in fact a different clearance in the different mountings.

I have 3 sets of hubs for my 30U with 19" wheels and haven't had a problem yet.

The other thing that you might concider if you can't solved the problem is to have the inside face of the spokes relieved by about 1/8" to allow the brake drum to set farther out. Maybe spokes were not done correctly in the first place.

Just my thoughts.

Happy Motoring,
Gary

SDGlenn

You mentioned your wheels needed to be re-spoked. But did not want to do it at this time?  If you clean up the spoke surfaces to get more clearance... I don't thing you could possible get up to a quarter inch of build up with primer and paint, and if you lean down the spokes you are going to change the distance between the drum and the backing plate.. leaving a way for more dirt, and whatever to get in with the brake shoes. I think my prior suggestion about the wheel cylinders would work no matter which set of wheels you put on the car. Looks to me like the alignment of the shoe and cylinder would not be a factor with that small of a change in the mating surfaces.
Good luck
SDGlenn
SDGlenn