• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Bonehead Mistake

Started by chetbrz, July 02, 2018, 12:21:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chetbrz

When I cranked the engine I forgot completely about the fork for the throw out bearing.  I don't think it is bent just out of position.  Any suggestions.  I sent these pictures to the builder.

http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

rwollman

Chet _ those are the fingers on the pressure plate correct?.  Appears that they are not bent but turned on the mounts.  Did u have the pressure plate rebuilt? was wondering if the mounts are broken are turned ?  Possibly the builder could reset them if u are lucky...Good luck

rwollman

Chet- more food for thought -  looks like engine is in car so you would have to get it up to remove bell housing.  How about a pilot shaft with a sleeve on it the same size as the nose cone on tranny. then put throwout bearing on that and adjust back to where the fingers belong if possible

chetbrz

Thanks for your thoughts.  Worst case rwollman.., I hope the pressure plate can be removed without removing the bell housing.  I haven't done this yet on this car but have removed others without removing the bell housing.  Best case I will be able to reposition the arm if nothing is broken.

I should have tie wrapped the fork away from the pressure plate.  At least the engine wasn't under power that would have been a disaster.  I was hand cranking the engine.

Chet...

http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

chetbrz

Well I haven't spoken to the builder yet but did crawl under the car and took the arm off the pressure plate.  Yes it was bent mostly where it pins into the housing assembly.  I used a torch to heat the steel before I gently reformed the piece to it's original intent.  I had a spare transmission front cover so with bearing assembly in place I was able to check for clearance.  Everything appears to be OK and the arm heights are all equal.

We'll see what J&M says about this miss-adventure.

PS... Fork tie-wrapped to the bell housing in two places.  This isn't going to happen again.

Chet...

rwollman

way to go chet - I have followed yur build with great interest as we have done pretty much the same on the 28 my brother owns . All done except for a fuel pump problem that I am gonna cure if it kills me. Sometimes the littlest things really mess you up....

chetbrz

Quote from: rwollman on July 03, 2018, 09:11:26 AM
way to go chet - I have followed yur build with great interest as we have done pretty much the same on the 28 my brother owns . All done except for a fuel pump problem that I am gonna cure if it kills me. Sometimes the littlest things really mess you up....

I know what you mean.  Many highs and lows.  Put the motor into the car on a 99 degree day.  Great day.!!
Then damage the pressure plate.  Super bad.  :-[

Repaired it the next day it was 103 degrees on the pool deck and the water was 90 degrees.  No cooling off even in the pool but it was still a great day.

Grandpa is getting a work out with the grandkids up from Florida for the cooler Northeastern weather. Ha, ha. Heading to the bounce house then the beach today.  Man am I exhausted but it beats the alternative.

Cheers, Chet...

rwollman

Chet_ hows your radiator?  We backflushed the 28"s with a garden hose and you wouldn"t believe what came out of it- made it run about 15 degrees cooler- took it right off so we could turn it upside down and just let the water go thru it both ways-no chemicals as it is 90 yrs old....glad everything worked out for you....

chetbrz

My radiator is in good shape and has been cleaned out not too long ago.  Also when I removed it I washed it out and not much other than clear water came out.  Would like to find someone who could hot tank it but old school radiator shops are pretty scarce these days.

Which brings us to the question: 
What anti-freeze and/or anti-freeze conditioner do any of you guys use in your early Plymouths ??

Chet...

Crazydave

It took me several attempts to find a guy who would even look at my old original radiator. But they all said the same thing about tanking, (an old original anyway) if you do that its destroyed. The old solder will dissolve/let go.

I did find an old school radiator guy and mine has been holding water since the repair. Mine has only had water in it since I have had it, but I bought and plan on just putting in plain old cheap green. No conditioners. But I don't have anything fancy  :) or do long road trips.

Articifer Tom

Went though similar with mine . But had over heating from white calcium deposits across top of fins . This from setting so long that fluid dried out in it, leaving calcium deposits . Rad shop said same, so I took CLR and put in it for 8 hrs and used flex arm coil brush across top every hour . Was able to get clean enough to pass water and never had over heating again .
   Used green anti-freeze and if changed ever three, four years, should have all additives needed .

chetbrz

Hi Dave /Tom,

I have been using the Green Prestone 50/50 for years.  Actually when I drained the radiator it still had its correct color after 10 years of service. Never had a problem with over heating.  Probably hose it out again and put in new. 

Many thanks for the comments,  Chet..

Articifer Tom

I do not think color ever changes .LOL . But one other advance to anti- freeze it also raise the boiling point for better cooling . Since we have non-pressurized systems would only be 212* a mere 32 above stat . 

Russ T. Fender

Antifreeze never goes bad but it looses the anticorrosion properties so you no longer get the benefit of that function of antifreeze.  I add anticorrosion supplement to my antifreeze annually and have not changed the antifreeze in my car since 1962.  I do add 50/50 mix to top off the radiator from time to time but since my car runs very cool it rarely needs any added.

chetbrz

Quote from: Russ T. Fender on July 06, 2018, 12:09:22 PM
Antifreeze never goes bad but it looses the anticorrosion properties so you no longer get the benefit of that function of antifreeze.  I add anticorrosion supplement to my antifreeze annually and have not changed the antifreeze in my car since 1962.  I do add 50/50 mix to top off the radiator from time to time but since my car runs very cool it rarely needs any added.

What type of anticorrosion additive are you using ?