• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Lower Radiator Hose Assembly Question

Started by racertb, October 28, 2019, 12:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

racertb

In looking at a couple of Model A parts sites, they say to use 2 3/8" clamps for hoses with 2" inside diameter.  I will probably shoot for that size when searching unless I am overlooking something.

racertb

If anyone has 4 clamps that will work, please let me know if you'd like to sell.  Found some on eBay, but the price plus shipping is ridiculous.

Articifer Tom

Got these OEM . Shown on 2-3/8" od pipe . Yours for couple buck each plus postage .

racertb

Thanks!  I'll take four...I'll PM you.

Ted

Crazydave

Quote from: Russ T. Fender on November 02, 2019, 10:07:44 AM
I have the metal section on my 30-U thermosyphon system but there is a by-pass running from it to the upper hose.  Car always runs cool but I have no idea what purpose the by-pass is intended to serve.  I have always assumed that was the way it was designed until this thread but based on what I am seeing it looks like the previous owner made that set up for some reason.  Does anyone know what purpose it was intended to serve?

Like this? Picture is from an auction car Chet listed.

Russ T. Fender

Yes that is the way my bypass is set up but on mine the lower connection is made through the metal pipe which has a nipple soldered into it.

chetbrz

Check out what appears to be the hydraulic reservoir.  What's that top pipe for ?? 

Also more unrecognizable stuff where the vacuum fuel pump should be.   

Just when you might think you have a good handle on what's going on with this car.

http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

racertb

I noticed the brake reservoir too...looks like a fuel pump where the vacuum tank should be (looks like my Carter fuel pump I have on my frame or an old AC Delco fuel pump)

Russ T. Fender

Cars like my 30-U that were in daily use from 1930 to 1972 saw lots of modifications just to keep them running.  I am trying to undo as much as possible but it is hard to tell exactly what is correct and what is not.  There is not a lot of reference material around and even less in the way of pictures that can be referred to for help.  Right now I am trying to figure out the wiring harness route and location of support clips.  Some are still there but the majority of the components are long gone.  That said, my car had an electric fuel pump, replacement master cylinder, missing windshield riser mechanism and mismatched replacement door handles just to name a few of it's issues.  Dealing with these issues and the general restoration issues  you encounter certainly makes it interesting.

ski

Seems like if the water is not cooled enough not to rise up through the bypass line after a pass thru the radiator a portion of it will do just that and get cooled again by a second pass through the radiator and continue to until the overall temp cools down to below that threshold. Or maybe its just so a portion of the water always gets a second pass to keep the car running cooler?

chetbrz

Quote from: Russ T. Fender on November 06, 2019, 01:54:05 PM
Cars like my 30-U that were in daily use from 1930 to 1972 saw lots of modifications just to keep them running.  I am trying to undo as much as possible but it is hard to tell exactly what is correct and what is not.  There is not a lot of reference material around and even less in the way of pictures that can be referred to for help.  Right now I am trying to figure out the wiring harness route and location of support clips.  Some are still there but the majority of the components are long gone.  That said, my car had an electric fuel pump, replacement master cylinder, missing windshield riser mechanism and mismatched replacement door handles just to name a few of it's issues.  Dealing with these issues and the general restoration issues  you encounter certainly makes it interesting.

I feel your pain...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Articifer Tom

Heay, Racertb .  How did those two wire clamps fit on the bottom hoses ? Still have more of that size .

racertb

Hi Tom, I haven't put on yet.  Had a couple of shows I went to and wanted to wait until after the season here to fool with them. Had no time in between. I'm might drive down to Ormond Beach next weekend for the AACA Show (Turkey Run same weekend in Daytona a few miles south), so it will most likely be a project after Thanksgiving. Thanks for asking, I'll post updated pics once complete.

Ted