• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Happy Holidays!

Started by racertb, December 14, 2023, 04:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

racertb

Greetings All,

It's been a while since I've been on the board and just wanted to check in and say Happy Holidays!

Ted

Touring29

Same to you! Lets get this forum going again. We need it.

chetbrz

Hi Ted,  sorry for the late response.  Down on the space coast visiting with my daughter and grandkids.   Have a great new year and to all a good life.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Russ T. Fender

The forum has almost been dormant the last part of 2023 and I hope it revives in 2024. 
Someone must have a project they are working on and I am sure everyone would like to hear about it.  My 30-U project just needs the interior done and I have everything I need to complete the car except for the original gas cap that I am searching for.  Back in the early 70's during the gas crisis I replaced the original gas cap with a locking gas cap after someone syphoned the gas out of my tank while it was sitting in a  parking lot (in those days I used the car everyday to go back and forth to work). Anyway, after three moves the original gas cap has disappeared and frankly I don't even remember exactly what it looks like. A picture of the correct gas cap would be very helpful.  A happy, healthy and prosperous New Year to all!

Touring29

I hope the forum picks up too. I have been working feverously or at least for me on a late model car (compared to our old Mopars) since I spent most of the summer working on the 29 and its running good. It still needs a lot of little things done so it will be back in the garage in 2024. I will share a picture of my newest project just to get some content going. Don't hate me.

chetbrz

I'm as guilty as everyone else.  I have been focused on repairs to my 48 Plymouth and spending a lot of time with local car club activities.

Hopefully 2024 will be a brighter year for the forum.

Happy New Year
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Articifer Tom

Yes to all . And Happy New Year too . My engine that I replaced rod in worked good all year . Found a Nice DRT Carter and refurbed it this month  . Time to install and test .

Touring29

Hey Tom what's the difference in the RT-08 and the DRT-08? I have seen both listed for early Mopars. Our car has a DT-08. Its missing the little cup fitting that the fuel line is attached to. It has the line clamped to the nipple that sticks out. I know that's wrong but I haven't found a good fitting or screw. I'm not sure if the threads the screw threads into are good or not.

Articifer Tom

In Mopars it seems to be RT was used to 1929 and after DRT were used with there slight overall frame larger size . Rt-08 model 121 to DRT-08 model 228 seems range of numbers .

Touring29

Sorry the DT in my above post was a typo. Our car has a RT-08. It has the short accelerator pump.

kimmc

[img]Hi again to everyone.  It's been a while since I posted anything but I check in occasionally.  But I am getting back to work on great grandfather's '29 coupe after building a '59 TBird convertible for my wife; it made the Squarebirds 2024 calendar for July which made me proud (yeah, I know, it's a Ford). This past week my friend (40 year flathead mechanic) and I dismantled my '29 engine and it needs work. Lower end not bad but cylinders and pistons way out of spec.  It last ran when I stored it in 1956 (at 14 yo).  Going to take it to a local machinist who specializes in early engines.  If he can do the work I will probably go to inserts throughout.  If that happens I will let you know what was done and how much it cost.  I told my wife since I am not spending it on dancing girls and bar tabs, why not. So, I hope to keep you posted as to what I am working on as this restoration adventure moves along.  I too value this forum as a valuable resource for the info others have shared with their early Plymouth projects. I too hope Plymouth guys will continue to contribute to the forum.  Have a good new year everyone.

Russ T. Fender

About 5 years ago I did the engine in my 30-U.  I did it all, rod and main bearings, rings, pistons, valves, valve seats etc.  Block was bored and sleeved back to original specks and decked and the head milled.  The bill was a tad over 6K.  Don't tell your wife!

racertb

Russ - Did you have the motor re-babbited?

Russ T. Fender

Yes, they did the rods and mains. The crank was good and just needed polishing. Took almost a year to get it all done.  It turned out to be the last job the machine shop did before the elderly owner retired and closed shop.  He had done a few other engines for me for my Model T's over the years and was proficient at pouring bearings.

chetbrz

That seems to be Par for the course.  Hopefully more young people get involved in the old car hobby. 

Chet...