• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

For What it’s worth… RT-08 Brass Bowl Carb

Started by chetbrz, July 10, 2008, 04:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chetbrz

I spent some time on the phone today with John from "The Carburetor Shop" in ELDON, MISSOURI.  We mostly talked about the Carter Bras Bowl Carburetor RT-08 found on the 29/30-U Plymouths.

Some information from a person who seemed to be extremely knowledgeable about our carburetors.

• First of all they have original RT-08s fully restored to show quality and in stock for sale and I was told that they are extremely expensive $5,000.00 each.  The reason basically is that the carburetor and its pot metal construction just didn't survive well after 79 plus years.
  • It is highly unlikely to disassemble these carburetors without breaking the internal components or at least most of the internal jets & parts.
  • Parts are available but pricey.  Idle & high-speed jets are in the $350.00 range per each, $50 dollars for the rebuild kit which doesn't contain the jets.
  • External acceleration pump may be purchased for $1,500.00 and I was told out of 100 carburetor bodies you are lucky to find two in restorable condition.  He said that the acceleration pump didn't provide too much benefit anyway and a lot of people use the carburetor without it. 

The gentlemen I spoke with was not trying to sell me anything.   He was nice enough to pass on some information so that I could decide what I would like to do with the two I have in various states of disassembly.   Both of which are floating around in my parts washer for the last 6 months.   Basically he said that this wouldn't help much because the pot metal expands over time making it impossible to dissemble these without damaging the internal parts or the castings.   This might be a good thing to know before you mess around with your RT-08.

Of course this carburetor was used on other makes at the time like Chevy.  He prefaced the following statement by saying he loves Carter Carburetors.   But in his opinion the RT-08 was the worst carburetor Carter ever made.   He mentioned that a number of people use other carburetors like a Zenith or Tillotson. When they go to a car show after they park they will then remove their driving carb and put on a non-function highly polished Brass Bowl RT-08 just for show.

Don't shoot the messenger.  I am just reporting on my conversation with someone that is much more knowledgeable then I am on this subject.

28-Q   RJH-08
29-U   RT-08
30-U   RT-08
31-PA   DRT-08
32-PB   BB-Updraft

I hope this info helps and if not any comments would be appreciated.

I am a firm believer in the theory that if it works leave it alone.  So if your RT-08 is working then based on the above I think that you have a very expensive and rare commodity.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

29UJohn

Chet,

I talked with them a few years back and was told at that time that to rebuild one would be $2995! 

I had one many years ago that had a working accelerator pump, but it has since gummed up and have been unsuccessfull in clearing it out.  I will aggree, it does not seem to make any difference in the cars performance with out it!

Some parst are available for the 28-30 Chevrolets that will work on our Carter Carbs.  I obtained a new brass bowl for $36, bowl nut, and a few other parts to get one in running condition.

I agree a rebuilt Tillotson (or Marvel) is probably the way to go, and use a polished non-working Carter brass bowl type for show.  However, I do have a 28Q Carter Carb on my 29U  now that seems to work satisfactory.  New or rebuilt Tillotson or Marvel carbs are available at reasonable prices.

BTW - Some people do the same thing with the original AC spark plugs - they keep a show set that they put on only at a meet.  The original plugs were AC G-12s, but are hard to find and expensive (The Cherolets use them too).  However, AC G-14s were an authorized alternate (a hotter plug, good for stop and go city traffic), and are easier to come by.  Also, you can get reconditioned G-12 or G-14 plugs for much less.  They look just as good as NOS, and if only used for show, who cares if they are reconditioned.

For a good driving plug, I recommend the modern AC 87.  It is a hotter plug (like the original G-14) which reduces fouling and does very well for the kind of driving these cars usually experience today.  Other acceptable modern driving plugs are the AC 86 (no longer made), Autolite 386, Champion D16.

The 28Q Silver Dome used a 7/8-18 thread AC "A" or "AA" Spark Plug.  The higher compression Red Head Plymouth engines used an AC "Y" plug.  These will work on the Silver dome engine too.  I believe the Club judgeing rules accept any of them.  I am told a good modern plug is the Champion C7.
John
1929U 4 Dr