• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

steering wheel removal

Started by Carson, February 09, 2018, 08:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carson

I want to manufacture the light and throttle controls on the steering wheel of a 1929 Plymouth U.  How do I remove the steering wheel?

chetbrz

Hi Carson,

Removing the steering wheel is a little complicated.  You have to remove the light switch assembly at the bottom of the steering column.  Once this is done you can remove the steering switch tubes.  Problem is if your roof is intact the tubes will not clear the interior roof.  You might have to loosen or reposition the steering box to remove the tubes.  See picture below.

Search "Steering wheel" in the General Discussion Category to find how others removed their steering wheel.  In my case my roof was removed for reconstruction.

Welcome to the forum,  Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Carson

All I want to remove is the throttle and light

All I want to remove is the throttle and light controls... they are shown in your picture. The part with the horn button and the controls are what I need to remove.

chetbrz

Quote from: Carson on February 10, 2018, 03:05:06 PM
All I want to remove is the throttle and light

All I want to remove is the throttle and light controls... they are shown in your picture. The part with the horn button and the controls are what I need to remove.

Sorry it's all one assembly. reread the post below again.  Its not all that hard but it is a big pain.  The tubs go all the way through the steering box.

Sorry for being the barer of bad news.  Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Carson

Just wanted to maker the old car a driver.  Guess I'll live with it  thanks for your help   carson