• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Roadster Top rest bars plating type

Started by hursst, February 07, 2015, 04:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hursst

Hello, I have a 30U roadster and the 4 top support bars that are mounted on the rear deck are currently pot-metal colored, which is the way they were when I bought the car 4 years ago.  My question is, would these bars have originally been just polished-up pot metal, nickel plated, or chrome plated?  I assume these were originally nickel plated, but I don't know for sure. 

What about the interior door handles?  What was the finish type on those?  Mine are currently just pot metal-colored.

Any help is appreciated.

racertb

Mine look like they are chrome and they are all original as far as I know.   They were never redone in the 53 years that the car has been in the family.

Ted

Old Man

Make sure what you have before you start plating if you want the car to remain authentic. The rule of thumb for Plymouths prior to about 1938 is: Interior 'silverware' is nickel plated,exterior is chrome plated. You can tell on a good piece if it's nickel by cleaning with a cream polish and your cloth should go black. Chrome does not come off nearly as much if at all. In fact if you have polished chrome in the last month,nothing really comes off except the dirt/smog. Nickel however will 'bleed' every week. I put a good paint polish like McGuier's TECH 2 on nickel to stop it from oxidizing. You can go through nickel if you polish it too much. (While we're at it: headlight reflectors are silver plated. And it is VERY thin. DO NOT polish with a metal polish. You will go right through to the brass. Seen it done. Clean with a good glass cleaner like SPRAY NINE glass and stainless steel cleaner from NAPA. It will not dissolve any metal platings. Generally speaking rear lamp bucket's interiors on Plymouths and Dodges are not plated. To brighten up the lamp I spray the interior with 'chrome paint'. You can get a really good rattle can of chrome like paint now and it really brightens up the rear lamps. Because it's inside out of the weather it stays pretty well.)