• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Fuel pump pressure

Started by Rusty, May 18, 2016, 11:55:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty

It has taken me a year to find a rebuildable oil pump core.  Fired up the old girl and it had good oil pressure but the carb was leaking fuel.  I have a electric fuel pump for years and a I run a regulator at the lowest setting and never had a issue.  I put a pressure gauge on and got a reading of 2.5 psi.  I think this is too high as gas is leaking.  Since the Kingston (?spelling) fuel pump was mostly gravity to the carb, should the pressure to the car be more like 0.5 to 1  psi?   I think my regulator is bad? 

ski

I've had the same issues with every regulator I've used.  Even though they are advertised to be adjustable from 1-6 psi the never get below 2 or 3 psi.  I installed a cheapo round dial type regulator I found at a yard sale in line with the other regulator and it seems to have lessened the overflow leakage.  It shows 1-1.5 psi with a pressure gage.  It's still far from ideal but much better.

seasand

I had the same problem. I gave up and went back to the vacuum tank. Runs well now.

Rusty

When I first brought mine, the vacuum pump worked.  I took most of the drive train apart to fix or rebuild but could never get that pump to work again.  It is very simple but I could never figure out if the problem was the vacuum tank or the vacuum side of the oil pump.  I gave up and went with a electric pump.
Joys of a old car.

racertb

I bought a Holly regulator that says it's 1-4 lbs., but even on the lowest setting, I could tell it seemed too much.  I went back to the old dial type that was on the car for 30+ years that seems to be better.  Set on 1.5.