• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Third Brake Light

Started by 29UJohn, February 20, 2017, 03:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

29UJohn

While I had the rear upholstery of my 29U Plymouth removed, I decided to install Third Brake Light for added safety.  I spliced the wires to the harness and ran the wires up the inside. The light bar attaches with suction cups.  If I want to hide it (t a show), I can tuck it behind the seat.  I also put LED lights in my tail lights ( a few years ago).  All are from a Ford Model A parts catalog.

John
1929U 4 Dr

chetbrz

Hi John,

Were you required to put in seat belts by the state or was that a personal choice ?  Some folks give you a break when on the road with a classic car, yet others just don't understand that stopping can be a real challenge without the comfort of antilock brakes.  I really have a problem when I am doing 55 in the right lane and keeping the required 1950 distance from the car in front of me then some wise guy jumps in between and then slams on his brakes. $@$%@$%$#@$@ Many expletives and hand singles follow.

I wonder how the algorithms for self driving cars will respond to a 48 or 29 Plymouth on the road.  Oh well we can always rely on the hand singles.

Cheers Chet...   

http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Rusty

I added a third brake light and LED for the tail lights.  If at all possible, I do not drive at dusk or later.  I never added seat belts.  In a wood framed car, would they really help? 

29UJohn

The seat belts are not required ( at least not inAlabama if they were not originally installed.). I put them in because my two youngest like me to take them for drives, so we drive it a lot.  With a wood body, seat belts may not matter if the car rolls over, but if someone hits me from behind, at least the passengers will not fly forward. I anchored the belts to the frame. For the front I had a machine shop make an additional frame cross member so I could anchor the center belts.  For the center rear I drilled to the frame and used a washer stack bEtween the frame and the wood cross member. The four (2 front and 2 back) are anchored to the frame via regular attachment points. I put in old style (196Os) new belts. 

Frankly, the seat belts mostly help keep the children in their seats.

I do not like to drive it on busy streets or the highway anymore. It will go 55 (given a little time) but I prefer 35-45. Saturday morning is a good time to drive around here (Huntsville, Alabam). I guess most sleep in, except for the fishermen and hunters.

I no longer drive at night either, if possible, and avoid rainy days too.

Regarding the three LED tail lights, I want to be sure I am seen. Lots of distracted drivers out there, texting and eating, etc.
John
1929U 4 Dr

chetbrz

Quote from: 29UJohn on February 21, 2017, 10:05:34 AM

I do not like to drive it on busy streets or the highway anymore. It will go 55 (given a little time) but I prefer 35-45. Saturday morning is a good time to drive around here (Huntsville, Alabam). I guess most sleep in, except for the fishermen and hunters.

I no longer drive at night either, if possible, and avoid rainy days too.

Regarding the three LED tail lights, I want to be sure I am seen. Lots of distracted drivers out there, texting and eating, etc.

John,

I agree.  I was just curious about the seat belts because I think some states require them if you are going to register the car with regular plates.  In my rant I was speaking about driving my 48 Plymouth.  I've been on the NJ Turnpike with the 48 and have experience a couple of nail biting moments.  The extra break light is always a good idea especially in traffic.

Chet... 
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Rusty

South Dakota does not require seat belts, even if the car is registered as a normal car, not a vintage vehicle.  I use my 29 a lot in the summer as a daily driver so I do not have it registered as a historical car.  You can use orginial year of manufacture license plates if registered as a historical car.  Sad, I found a perfect set of matching 29 plates off eBay.  They now hang in my shop.