• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Gentlemen, I've got a problem

Started by racertb, January 09, 2012, 09:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

racertb

Chet...sounds like you fixed my problem (I hope!).  So, just to be clear, the arms on the driveshaft and the arms on the differential are to alternate or overlap with one another and NOT line up with each other like it looks like I have done???

I never did anything to the fronts, but the problem was never there before...however, I have the discs to do both front and rear so I might as well do both now.

Thanks for your help...I will get to it this coming weekend (hopefully) and let you know what happens!

Ted

chetbrz

Quote from: racertb on February 13, 2012, 01:36:51 PM
So, just to be clear, the arms on the driveshaft and the arms on the differential are to alternate or overlap with one another and NOT line up with each other like it looks like I have done???

Ted

Ted,   

That is correct.., the arms should not be bolted directly together.  The disks provide the connection and allow for off center flexibility in the drive train.   This was probably why the bolts seemed to be to short when you assembled the rear disks the first time.

Good Luck, Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

racertb

Should all 6 bolts for the rear discs be identical in size and all have a hole for a cotter pin?

racertb

The attached photo is what I have to work with...the 3 bolts on the left are the only 3 that have holes for cotter pins and castle nuts.  The other fasteners is what else I came up with (similar to what else was on there, but worked!).  I assume that ALL bolts should have cotter pins and castle nuts like my front/transmission side has???

Also, I only have the 8 buckle washers for the rear...that's what was there...looking at the front side, looks like there are more visible...

(3 new discs shown/new front discs not in photo)

SDGlenn

You sure are having a problem with that one, lol.  When I took mine apart (front and rear) and started to put it back together I found I only had enough buckel washers for one set.  After much cleaning and hunting I did find 1 buckel washers for each castle bolt and nut. So I ended up with the right amount. I think you need to have one on each disk hole that has the bolt head through, six per each end of the drive shaft should do it.  Thats the way I remember it anyway. lol
SDGlenn
SDGlenn

racertb

I think I've got enough to work with and make it work...will have to drill out 3 more bolts and get a few more castle nuts...It should go back together better than it was!  (fingers crossed!)

:o

29UJohn

Chet is right.  No metal to metal, so the fabric disks allow the shafts to flex.  Also, don't use any lock washers.  They will not work for this application, as the disks will compress over time and the lockwashers will loosen up.  Better to get a machine shop to drill the holes for you and use cotter pins.  Most castle nuts you buy will be grade 2, which is really not good.  If it were mine, I would have some grade 5 nuts made into castle nuts, and also use grade 5 bolts.  These bolts and nuts were not graded back then, but they used very good ones, somewhere between modern grade 5 & 8.  As for the buckle washers, just replace the missing ones with similar sized large washers.  I did that for a long time with no problem, until I found some spares off an old parts car.  If you really want more buckle washers, I can look around, I may have a few spares left, but not many.
John
1929U 4 Dr

racertb

Thanks John...by the way, I got your email and replied with some photos.  Just concerned about the clearance with 3 of the bolts facing the rear toward the differential.  The end of those are very close to making contact and the clearance seems to be 1/8".  For what it's worth, all the bolts are the same length (2 3/4") like the originals that came out.  I tried to reverse the 3 in question and make them forward facing, but I can't seem to make that work. 

racertb

Here's a few photos of what I've got right now...this may change by the end of the day:

(NOTE - cotter pins are not in yet until I'm comfortable with the set up...)

kimmc

Hey guys.  I'm getting ready to re-do my discs too but haven't disassembled them yet.  I didn't realize the buckle washers are placed between the discs (as shown in racertb pics); I can't tell from John's pics if the buckle washers are between the discs or beneath the bolt head.  What's the right arrangement?  After reading all this I'm going to take notes when I disassemble mine.  Thanks all.  Kim

chetbrz

When I did mine the buckle washers were between every disk and also behind the bolts that came in direct contact with the disks.   If you are short on buckle washers my guess would be to use what you have between the disks and flat on the outsides. 

Basically put it together the same way it comes apart and you should be golden.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

racertb

Quote from: chetbrz on April 11, 2012, 07:08:29 PM

When I did mine the buckle washers were between every disk and also behind the bolts that came in direct contact with the disks.   If you are short on buckle washers my guess would be to use what you have between the disks and flat on the outsides. 

Basically put it together the same way it comes apart and you should be golden.

Chet...

That's what I did...I used what I had in between and flats on the outside.  At the front of my driveshaft, the buckle washers are behind the bolt heads (against the discs) and I assume there are some on the inside.  I have a feeling the front of mine has never been touched.

If you look at my photos, I still have some concern about the claerance of the bolts facing the rear...any thoughts?

chetbrz

Quote from: racertb on April 11, 2012, 08:34:54 PM
Quote from: chetbrz on April 11, 2012, 07:08:29 PM

That's what I did...I used what I had in between and flats on the outside.  At the front of my driveshaft, the buckle washers are behind the bolt heads (against the discs) and I assume there are some on the inside.  I have a feeling the front of mine has never been touched.

If you look at my photos, I still have some concern about the claerance of the bolts facing the rear...any thoughts?

Why don't you reverse the bolt so the nuts are on the opposite side.  That would give you more clearance.

Chet...

Gary 30U

Chet is correct. The bolts (with a washer) should go from the front toward the rear to provide the necessary clearance to the transmission bolts.

Gary

racertb

I agree.  All nuts should be on the inside or facing forward toward the drive shaft.   That is the way it is on the front joint - nuts facing rearward toward the drive shaft.   I tried that and can't seem to get the bolts in that way so I put them in the way you see it.   I thought about shorter 2 1/2 bolts as opposed to the 2 3/4 bolts like the originals I have.  I will try again.

Does anyone have a photo they can show that shows their set up so I can see the clearance?