• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Vacuum Pump & Oil Pressure Problem

Started by chetbrz, January 16, 2020, 01:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankp

Chet, good you are confident with your oil pressure.  I've used various 30w oils after my rebuild.  Currently using Shell 30 Rotella.  With the spark, I'm with Ted and follow the manual.
frank p

chetbrz

Quote from: frankp on January 19, 2020, 05:43:23 PM
Chet, ...  With the spark, I'm with Ted and follow the manual.

You and Ted are correct in that the Manual states, (Instruction Book P-71, Fifth Edition May 1929)

"To Start Engine

The ignition switch key should be turned.  The spark control button (on instrument panel) should then be pushed all the way in or full advance position.  Except when cranking by hand, the spark button should be set full advance. "

My 2 cents.

Most cars start with a slightly retarded distributor spark and advance automatically by centrifugal force when running.  As time went on vacuum advance was added to push engine power even further.  I would still argue that slightly retarding the timing at startup will make things easier for the starter motor and allow you to push the envelope on the advance side for full or increased HP at runtime.

But you guys are correct.   :)
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member