• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Help with Paint - 29U

Started by chetbrz, June 10, 2019, 10:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chetbrz

At this point I haven't decided what color or combinations of color that I want to paint.  Obviously red isn't one of them.  What's more important is I need to understand what gets painted and what doesn't especially with the fine details of a combination color scheme.

I don't want to make an expensive mistake like chroming bumper parts that should have been painted Black.  So here is my present understanding for your combined critique.  Looking for true to original as a discussion point.

All 4 Door 1929 Cars:

• Wheel fenders, center door pillars, door frames, and dash - BLACK
    My assumption is the front fender screws are chrome plated and not painted.  I believe the fenders were painted prior to installing on the car during manufacture.
  • Body, wheel rims and wood, - PRIMARY BODY COLOR   ( Wheel Hubs ?? )
  • All raised body trim areas - SECONDARY COLOR
Pictures showing unique details would be appreciated. 

Suggestions on paint would also be helpful.

Tks Chet...

http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Crazydave

I can take a peek again for you, she is due to see some sun light. I'm sure I took pictures of the fender hardware for you and posted them in one of your threads. I want to say there were traces of paint on them.

chetbrz

Quote from: Crazydave on June 10, 2019, 03:05:19 PM
I can take a peek again for you, she is due to see some sun light. I'm sure I took pictures of the fender hardware for you and posted them in one of your threads. I want to say there were traces of paint on them.

Dave I thought your slotted screws were plated.  I'm not worried about this I can always paint the screws prior to installing the fenders.  The fenders will be painted off the chassis.  The hardware will be added at installation.  (Hood latches etc.)
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Crazydave

Quote from: chetbrz on June 10, 2019, 10:31:47 AM

All 4 Door 1929 Cars:

• Wheel fenders, center door pillars, door frames, and dash - BLACK
    My assumption is the front fender screws are chrome plated and not painted.  I believe the fenders were painted prior to installing on the car during manufacture.
  • Body, wheel rims and wood, - PRIMARY BODY COLOR   ( Wheel Hubs ?? )
  • All raised body trim areas - SECONDARY COLOR
Pictures showing unique details would be appreciated. 

Suggestions on paint would also be helpful.

Tks Chet...

Wheel fenders and dash BLACK

Center door pillars & Door frames PRIMARY BODY COLOR

My fender screws are chrome plated, with traces of Black paint on them. I believe they were painted. By who not sure.

Body, wood spokes/wheel, wheel hubs PRIMARY BODY COLOR The split rim I painted black, it was olive primer when I got it. Don't know what its suppose to be. I never plan on painting the car, so the decision was easy.

All raised body trim areas - I only see the body color on mine, the raised areas were pin striped.

Those are my answers according to Muriel, take it any way you want. I took a bunch of pictures tonight, but lack the ambition to transfer, reformat, resize etc. I will transmit them to you another way. Took her to the filling station tonight to top off and fill my gas cans (In the open air trunk) Put on a one car, car show for a short while. Lots of questions and pictures. Even had a teenager interested (Ray of hope)

As far as the color, pick your favorite stock combination. You are the one that has to look at it  ;D