• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

vacuum tank float setting - 28 Q

Started by rwollman, March 27, 2017, 08:19:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rwollman

Greetings all - have a question.  Had to replace cork float in the vacuum tank as it was completely gone -  Installed brass float.  Car runs fine but I am now sucking gas thru the vacuum line to oil pump - not good!!
Figure I must float too high.. Does anyone know correct height and/or what I could use for float ta alleviate this problem????

racertb

Good question...I'd like to know as well for when I rebuild mine.

29UJohn

I replaced a cork in mine with a cork of similar size and it works like a champ.  I have seen only a few of these and the corks were not all the same. Mine had three stacked corks. I just replaced the broken one in the same manner.
John
1929U 4 Dr

chetbrz

Does anyone know if the Kingston Vacuum pump had a check valve mechanism.   I was using a electric pump but will be reinstalling the vacuum pump so any info will be helpful.  When I took mine apart I think I remember that the port on the top going to the oil pump had a rectangular metal tab extending about an inch or and inch & a half into the upper chamber.  I am not sure if there were any other parts beside this tab.  I just assumed I was missing the vacuum check valve, if one exists.  Anyone have a picture.  I will try to pull mine tomorrow and take a picture.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

rwollman

The one I had had 3 corks  - each one smaller than the other stacked one on top of another.  All were deteriorated to the point that I could not really tell the sizes.  Also, read that cork has to be sealed due to ethanol and I had no idea what to use so went with the brass float and installed it in the same location on the rod. Evidently, the brass does not have the same characteristics as the cork regarding buoyancy.  I don"t know if this is a kingston or stewart warner unit as it is not marked and I haven't seen any photos to be able to tell the difference, if any.  Am very interested in the check valve as this would make sense but have never heard of that in any info I can find on these units.  Would any one out there know of the availability of schematics for these units??  I would love to make this unit functional again but at this point it is not worth destroying the engine.  Any help would be appreciated....

chetbrz

KINGSTON PRODUCTS CORP
Kokomo Indiana - Model 39-0
Date#   5 / 30
COULOMBE PAT'S
JAN 18, 1921 - AUG 1, 1922
APR 7, 1922 - JAN 22, 1924

I hope this helps.  Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

rwollman

chetbrz - is that photo of an original tank or one that is repaired?  Reason I ask is that the one I took apart did not have anywhere near that amount of cork for a float unit.  If they were that large it explains a lot of my problem as my brass float is not nearly that large..Could I get a measurement fo the float assembly if possible?  (height and dia)    Thanks in advance.....

chetbrz

Quote from: rwollman on March 28, 2017, 04:14:12 PM
chetbrz - is that photo of an original tank or one that is repaired?  Reason I ask is that the one I took apart did not have anywhere near that amount of cork for a float unit.  If they were that large it explains a lot of my problem as my brass float is not nearly that large..Could I get a measurement fo the float assembly if possible?  (height and dia)    Thanks in advance.....

Is your tank identical to the one pictured in the previous post.  This is for a 29U Plymouth.  Also It has an esthetic level of restoration.  The internals were not touched.  Just the exterior.

I haven't taken it apart.  The picture was from a couple years back.  Jury Duty for the rest of the week & next.

Sorry,  Chet...

rwollman

Chetbrz - looks identical except I don't have the top cover - is that tank in service at this time? I would really kike to know the dimensions of the cork float but would not even think of asking you to remove it from your car just to check it for me.  Am in now hurry as the car is scheduled for paint and upholstery this spring..Just trying to get all the little things taken care of before then.  Even if you could approximate the size of the cork unit would give me a place to start....I can get float material from Restoration Supply Co that is non reactive to ethanol and have a lathe to size it on...Thanks for your help so Far.....

frankp

Chet-my sedan Kingston tank has no vacuum relief and works just fine.  I have seen it on Stewart tanks.

Rwollam-by looking at Chet's picture, the cork diameter is probably about 1.5" or so.  Interestingly my cork has not been replaced or coated since I've owned the car, 1965.  i 've been told corks can be coated with "DOPE" paint from a hobby store.  This was/is used on gas/alcohol engine model airplanes.
Your brass float may be in the wrong location on the shaft allowing the gas level to rise to high.  I had this problem when the top cork stay solder failed and the corks slid up the shaft.

good luck,
frank

(now I need a Kingston for the roadster)
frank p

chetbrz

Back early this afternoon.

Frank, Thanks for the Info.  That's what I thought but couldn't say for sure.

rwollman,

I am currently restoring the wood framing so my car is out of service for probably the next year or two.  If I can find the time to pop the top canister out I will.  I will try to get back into the garage if I don't have to show up in court tomorrow.  Fingers crossed, 

UPDATE

Frank was right on with the diameter.  The Diameter is 1.5" and the overall total length of both cork pieces is 2.750" (2 and 3/4")  See the pictures below for alignment.

FYI... The weight of the cork pieces is what closes the trapdoor.  I think this is your problem.

Cheers,  Chet...

rwollman

thanks to all for the info - has really helped and I think I know what the problem is now - - best regards to all

29UJohn

I replaced a broken top cork in my vacuum tank with a large natural cork of similar size.  It looks ugly, but it works great!  I did not coat the cork with anything. I avoid ethanol gas too. (The date on the photo is wrong, my old camera will not save the correct date.)
John
1929U 4 Dr

Crazydave