• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Clutch concerns - Help

Started by Gary 30U, February 12, 2011, 07:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tinkeys

Hi Gary !!
I can help you with rear engine mounts I have only one set spare that I had made they are identical to originals except for press metal plates are fabricated,oncethey are installed you cant tell the difference from original.
Engine mounts can be removed with engine bellhousing in place.
There are slots on bellhousing side of mounts they will slide out to the rear of car.

Tinkeys

Hi Gary !!
Correction brackets between bellhousing & engine mounts once unbolted can slide out then engine mounts can be removed  hope I have not confused you .

29plycoop

The engine and u-joint rubber discs can be removed with the bell housing left in car. Does the engine vibrate with the car setting still at an idle or does it vibrate while car is moving?
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.

Gary 30U

Yea, I figured out how to get the mounts out, Thanks Tony. Just jacked up the back of the engine. Got the rubber mounts out and sure enough they were bad. They had slipped and let the engine come downto touch the frame rails.

I called a few of the classic car parts places and actually found 1 (one) NOS, but they wanted $180.00 - NO WAY. A couple others had old prices for redoing the vulcanizing at about $320 to $350 per pair and indicated that price was probably not good any more.

I called around and found a company here in the Portland area that still does the old fashioned hot vulcanizing. That is their only business, the hot process not the new RTV (room temperture vulcanizing). He has mine, and a spare I had on the shelf. I will check how good they really are when I get them back, but I may be starting to market them for about $180 to $200. per set.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Gary

P.S. Yes the engine vibration was when the can was setting still not moving.

29plycoop

8) If the vibration is with the car not moving it has to be the engine. Here are a few things to try.  Make sure the spark plug wires are in the right location in the distributor cap. Then check the spark plug wires at each spark plug for a hot spark when cranking it over. Set the gap and try a different set of spark plugs. Some times even new spark plugs are bad.  A dead cylinder for any reason will make an engine vibrate. Make sure the compression is even on all cylinders. Is the coil putting out a STRONG BLUE spark? After the engine runs for a while , pull all the plugs and see if one plug is wetter then the rest. That would give an indication as to which cylinder may have a problem.  As a rule engines don't get that far out of balance internally from ware. There is an answer in there some place. It will be interesting to find out the solution.  Happy hunting - Rich
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.

Gary 30U

Thanks again for all the input. Every different idea or suggestion helps to narrow down the problem.

Will be about 3 weeks to get my motor mounts back, Then we will try again.

Happy Motoring, Gary

SDGlenn

Gary, A couple thoughts... Did you try running the engine with the fan belts removed (to eliminate Fan, Waterpump, and Generator). Also, the front pulley/vibration damper could be out of balance if it is anything like later models. Also, did you have the oil pan off? Not a tough job, then you can see if anything is in the pan, and check the piston skirts and cylinder walls (with a little streaching lol) One more thing, does the vibration seem to be in sync with the engine RPMs? Good Luck,
SD Glenn
SDGlenn

Tinkeys

Hi Gary !
How is work on Plymouth going ?

Gary 30U

Happy days are coming. I got my rear motor mounts redone and got rid of most (not all) of the vibration. I found that the left side rear motor mount had let loose and allowed the inner plate of the motor mount to rest on the frame rail. When we took the mount apart we found that the carrage bolts inside the mount had the heads rubbing directly on each other and had worn themselves flat.

If anyone is in need of a revulcanized pair I had two pair done. This spare pair is available.

For $179.00, and your rebuildable pair I will send you a new redone set by return mail. They will fit in a small flat rate US mail box. Need your old ones so the next guy can have his to.

I had some other issues, but the car is running and goes on it's first tour of the year on May 14th. Missed our first club tour last weekend to the big Woodburn Tulip Festival. On the 14th we go to what is called "Papa's Toys" which is car collection in Cornelious, OR. This is a collection of 169 "Classics, Collector and Custom cars" that is open to the public once a year. There is no charge for addmission and all donations go to Doernbecher Children Hospital.

Should be a good day.

Gary