• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Kingston Vacume Tank

Started by RickBrinker, December 17, 2007, 03:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickBrinker

Anyone have any info on how this works or how to repair it.
Its a Model 39 its on my 29 DeSoto.Thanks

chetbrz

Rick,

Here is a picture of mine. 

KINGSTON PRODUCTS CORP  Kokomo Indiana  -  Model 39
Date#   5 / 30
COULOMBE PAT'S
JAN 18, 1921    -    AUG 1, 1922
APR  7, 1922    -    JAN 22, 1924

To repair.

• Fix All leaks.
  • Ensure that the float is in good shape.
  • Make & Replace the top can gasket.

The way it works is engine vacuum sucks the gas into the top chamber.  When there is sufficient gas to raise the float.   The bottom port opens and dumps the gas into the bottom half of the vacuum canister.  From here it is gravity feed into the carburetor.

Very simple and effective.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

RickBrinker

I understand how they work My 25 Dodge has a Stewart Tank.On this one witch is the vacuum side and witch is the vent side

Old Plymouths

I think Chet has it right. They are very simple to repair and get working again. The insides work the same as a carb with the float shutting off the fuel when the float gets to the top of the can same as the check valve on the fuel line coming into a carb. The harder the vacuum tries to pull fuel into the can, the harder the float pushes against the fuel shut off valve shutting off the fuel. Same as a carb. The fuel in the can just drops out the bottom and flows to the carb by gravity. The carb has it's own check valve, operated by it's own float, at the fuel line input to stop it from flooding.
There is usually a shut off tap at the bottom of the vacuum tank to shut off the fuel overnight or on long term storage. The system was not fool proof and it would drain the tank through the carb regardless of the check valve in the carb. But basically all that's going on is the manifold vacuum is sucking fuel up from the gas tank into the vacuum tank and holding it for the carb as it needs it.
  The only problems with the tank parts was
  :holes in the float,just like a carb float, making it sink in the fuel and flood the vacuum tank. (The holes can be soldered with electronic solder and a soldering gun.)
  : the cork gasket on the lid drying out and allowing the vacuum to 'escape'
  : the fuel shut off check valve not doing it's job.
  I believe on some tanks the fuel AND the vacuum are controlled by the float action. The lid cork gasket just needs to be replaced with neoprene and sealed with Chrysler RTV. Automotive stores sell sheets and rolls of rubber,cork and water proof material for making gaskets. Welding shops sell a thin red rubber sheet that welders use. It works really well for making authentic red rubber gaskets like our cars had when new except it's neoprene and should last forever. (All the rubber on our old cars is natural rubber and really shouldn't be used again. )   
  Your local Chrysler dealer parts dept. sells a tube of black fuel proof /oil proof RTV for about $10 that works wonders on all the leaks in gas and oil sytems in our old cars. (They use it in the shops on new cars to seal the oil pan and tranny pan.)The needle valve in the tank shut off is usually just brass and the face wears and starts to leak. In the 30s they started to put a rubber 'nose' on carb needle valves and you can use one of those for better sealing in both the tank and carb.
  Hope this helps.       

chetbrz

Rick,

I am pretty sure that for the model 39 Kingston Pump the female elbow (inside thread) is the vacuum side and the outside threaded elbow is the gas side.

See diagram below...

Mr. Old Plymouths is correct.  Fix all leaks, the canister gasket, and ensure that the float is in good shape and you have a repaired Vacuum Gas Pump.  A little exterior paint will make it nice.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

RickBrinker

I understand,someone has taken the fittings off the tank.I guess i will hook It up and if it doesn't work i will switch the lines around. thanks again

chetbrz

Quote from: RickBrinker on December 20, 2007, 02:25:24 PM
I understand,someone has taken the fittings off the tank.I guess i will hook It up and if it doesn't work i will switch the lines around. thanks again

Rick,

I will check tonight.  I could tell you which is which by taking a picture of the top looking at the fill vent.   I will also check because the gas inlet might have a ball bearing check valve built in to keep gas from flowing back into the gas line.

I'll let you know tomorrow.

Chet...

chetbrz

Rick,

Here is the info you need.

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays,

Chet...

RickBrinker