• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

I need some advise...

Started by kimmc, September 20, 2012, 01:03:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SDGlenn

Doing a great job Kim, great pictures also.  Be sure to keep the burlap, If the American Pickers show up they will offer you probable 100 dollars each. lol Enjoy the narrative also, I need that to understand how this is going.
Take care
SD Glenn

SDGlenn

kimmc

Thanks Glenn.  I appreciate the feedback and enjoy the humor.  The comments I get regarding my "posts" are part of the fun of this project and keep me plugging along.  Thanks for taking the time to post a note.  On my way out for another day.  They must have used at least a couple of boxes of tacks on that interior and top!  Kim

chetbrz

Kim,

Could you post more pictures of the wood framing & floor of your car.

Many thanks,  Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

kimmc

Hi Chet.  Sure I can do that.  Is there something that you are especially interested in?  There's a lot of wood and specially machined joints!  I want to be sure to get those parts that you want.  It may be a day or two as the floor of the old girl is pretty cluttered right now as I continue the disassembly.  I will post some pictures later today of the top wood structure; I removed the burlap this morning and took pictures.  I hope I can salvage most of the wood structure and only have to build a few pieces.  Later.  Kim

chetbrz

Kim

As far as the burlap is concerned I love the "Cattle Feed" logo.  That's Great !!!.  Actually I plan on restoring my 29 as a retirement project.  I know my car looks fine in the pictures but the wood framing is pretty rotten in that when I drive.., the car shakes, rattles, and attempts to roll.  Since I haven't removed any of the interior I don't quite know how badly the car was been molested.  I assume it was by the tong and grove floor that is presently in my bucket of bolts along with the occasional drywall screw.   Any and all photos of the original construction would be extremely helpful for my quest.  My goal is for a museum quality restoration.  Probably won't come close but everyone needs a goal, that's mine.  You could just email the pictures if you want.  This way I would have the benefit of a full quality photo and you wouldn't have to photo shop them.  That is if you don't mind.   I am mostly interested in the floor & roof.

Tks,  Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

kimmc

Well, my frame is original...some dry rot but not too much.  I can send you all the pictures you want however mine is a coupe, not a sedan.  Yours is probably similar construction, just longer (and even more wood!).  I am sending 2 pics here taken just a couple of hours ago.  The 3rd pic will have to follow in a separate reply as the third picture would put me over the 1000KB limit.  Go to go.  My wife is making me take some time away from my project!

kimmc

Here's the 3rd photo.  All the floor boards laid out.  I will do a sketch of each with measurements if that will help.  Let me know what else you want.  Talk to you later.  Kim

Nice job, keep up the great work, I am enjoying following this thread
Jason Anderson

chetbrz

Kim,

Please don't add any work to your project time on my account.  The pictures are great.  I agree with Jason great thread.

Thanks,  Chet...

ALS30U

I just wanted to send a note to let you know how much I'm enjoying your post . Keep up the good work and thanks foe allowing us to watch as you proceed.
AL

kimmc

Chet; it's not much extra work to get the pictures you want while I have it all open.  So just let me know; I'll be glad to get the detail pictures you want.

Al; I enjoy posting the pictures and getting feedback from forum members.  This is all part of the fun for me.  I've benefitted from the posts of others on this forum; I hope some will benefit from my adventures with the restoration of my car.

I am putting up a couple of more pictures of the top's wood structure.  You all are lucky that there is a 1000 KB size limit on posted pictures otherwise I'd be putting up lots more.  The first pic shows the top from above the left back corner of the cab (behind the driver) and the second show a broken support bow (there are 3 breaks like this...probably caused by high school friends piling all over the car on several occasions way back when I was just a lad).  I think these can be glued and clamped; I also plan to reinforce each top bow by gluing strips of wood along either side of each bow.  It can't hurt and will probably help the old wood a little.  And I have some other pieces that I will have to manufacture replacement pieces....but that's another post.  Thanks again for the feedback.  Kim

29roadster

Kim Great photos love following the thread, would there be a chance of a pic of the timber accross the rear boot floor as i have very little timber left on the chassie good luck and keep up the good work. Glenn

kimmc

Hey Glenn.  Yes, I will take some pictures today and send them.  By "rear boot floor" I presume you mean the wood framing behind the seat?  Let me know if I don't have that right.  From the pictures I post you can tell me if you need to see additional stuff.  Also, I could take some measurements for you if that would help too.  Glad to know you are enjoying the progress reports.  And as long as I am doing another post, I'm going to include some pics.  Thanks for your reply.  Kim

kimmc

Another quick post.  I wanted to check the pictures I took of the fabric U-joint on the differential end before I completely disassembled it.  You can see in the picture that the head of the bolt for the drive shaft spyder is on the differential side followed by a flat washer, waffle washer, disk, waffle washer, disk, waffle washer, disk, waffle washer, drive shaft spyder, nut, and cotter pin.  (The cotter pin and nut were removed to get a little space in the assembly so the picture would show the sequence of parts better.)  The bolts to the differential spyder are reversed; that is the nut is on the differential side and the head of the bolt with flat washer and waffle washer is against the disk on the opposite side (towards the front of the car or drive shaft side).  This arrangement of bolts is different from the transmission end fabric U-joint (see my earlier post and sketch in this thread).  Questions?  Send me a post.  I'm headed back to the shop.  Kim

kimmc

Hey Chet and Glenn; You both asked for pictures and details about the wood floor structure so this afternoon I decided to take a "kick at the cat".  I started with a sketch (it's pretty amateurish...sorry) that I will post here.  It was pretty fun crawling in, around, and under the car to see what they did.  Pretty amazing, actually; they pretty much built a wood car and then nailed sheet metal to the wood frame.  The main floor members are made of 1.75 inch thick oak and are laid over the top of the frame channel; the inside edge of these main longitudinal member pretty much lays above the inside edge of the top leg of the frame channel...(does that make sense?).  The outside edge of this wood piece follows the contour of the car.  There are 3 wood cross members that extend from side to side; one is above and behind the main steel cross member beneath the cab, the second is about one foot further towards the rear, and the last is at the very back of the car (not shown in my sketch).  In the sketch the small x within a circle is a bolt holding the wood to the frame.  There are wood shims of various thicknesses between the main wood structure and the steel frame; i suppose these were for adjustment of the steel body.  Anyhow, this is getting long so if any of you out there have questions, post them here or send me an email.  I've got lots of pictures; I'll post a few.