• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Kingston Vacume Fuel Pump is Overflowing - Any Advice?

Started by 29UJohn, March 23, 2008, 12:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

29UJohn

The Original Kingston Vacume Fuel Pump has worrked pretty well on my 29 Plymouth for over 30 years.  However, this weekend the tank overflowed, and I believe fuel was being drawn into the oil pump.  I have aways wondered what type of check valve was used to prevent this from happening.  Now I will have to take the tank apart and find out.

If anyone has any experience with this problem, I would appreciate some advice.

John
John
1929U 4 Dr

chetbrz

John,

I don't have much experience with using the Kingston fuel pump but I did recently acquire one and I had taken it apart to refurbish it.  I was surprised to discover that it didn't have any kind of check valve on the vacuum side which would shut down the system in the event of an overflow condition.  Maybe my unit is missing something or maybe it never had this safety feature.  

From what I can tell when the float rises, the door on the bottom of the upper tank opens to drain the acquired gas into the bottom tank where it could be gravity fed into the carburetor.   My assumption was that the design was in an equilibrium which prevented the unit from drawing more gas from the tank then the carburetor could use.   If this is the case then maybe the gas tank cap sealed the tank without providing venting.  The expansion of the gas from temperature change could cause too much gas to be deposited into the upper tank (because without proper venting this would be the only place the gas could go).  Just a theory.  I would be very interested in whatever you find out.

Chet...

http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

29UJohn

Chet,
Thanks.  I had put a new replacement gas cap on, since my original one leaked a bit.  I'll put the old gas cap back on the gas tank and try that.
John
John
1929U 4 Dr

chetbrz

Quote from: 29UJohn on March 23, 2008, 07:09:13 PM
Chet,
Thanks.  I had put a new replacement gas cap on, since my original one leaked a bit.  I'll put the old gas cap back on the gas tank and try that.
John

John,

You may need to drain some of the fuel out of the Kingston pump, also the cap needs to be a vented cap or the leaky one will work.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

ski

Quote from: chetbrz on March 24, 2008, 05:16:15 PM
the cap needs to be a vented cap or the leaky one will work.

I can vouch for that. 

ski

29UJohn

Thanks guys.  I drained the vacuum tank completely, cleaned the lower unit out and made sure the upper vacuum tank was empty.  I cleaned the glass bowl and filter screen while I was at it, and put in a new filter bowl gasket.   I then added enough clean fuel to allow the engine to start.  I replaced the "new" gas cap with the original one, but first I checked it and made sure it had a good vent, which it does.  So now I need to test it out.  However, must wait till next weekend to do that.  Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks! 
John
1929U 4 Dr

29UJohn

:)
Thanks guys - All is well with the fuel pump!

I took the 29U on several test drives this weekend and the pump is working well, and not overflowing.  I am amazed that the Kingston Vac Pump does not have any check valve to prevent gas from being drawn into the oil pump.  It appears Chet is right - the system is in balance somehow with a well vented gas tank. 

I put new gaskets on the old original gas cap, but ensured that the cap vent was well open.  The gas tank does not appear to be leaking any at the cap or gas gage, so all seems well and good.
;D
John
1929U 4 Dr