• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Parts Check

Started by chetbrz, November 23, 2020, 02:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chetbrz

Could someone maybe verify that I have this correct:

Front wheel bearings parts: 

Outer Bearing and race:   Timken 09074 / Timken 09194
Inner Bearing and race:    Timken 14132 / Timken 14274
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

29UJohn

That's what my Hollander book shows.
John
1929U 4 Dr

chetbrz

Quote from: 29UJohn on November 23, 2020, 11:28:29 PM
That's what my Hollander book shows.

Thanks John you have been a great help.
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Articifer Tom

Any of you find the inner bearing as being 14130 ?  This is number I found on my truck . When looking spec finding to be same . It is also available with race 14274 as set . The 14132 I could not find as set .
  Also about should add seal cr17653 to post .

chetbrz

Quote from: Articifer Tom on November 24, 2020, 08:17:44 PM
Any of you find the inner bearing as being 14130 ?  This is number I found on my truck . When looking spec finding to be same . It is also available with race 14274 as set . The 14132 I could not find as set .

Tom you're right the inner set is odd.  I ordered the inner bearings from Napa. I also ordered the inner seal part number CR 18242.  I'll let you know how this plays out once I have the parts in hand.

The outer set is very common and can be purchased as a set with bearing & race.

I just put the front axle back in today. I'll be able to mic the spindle tomorrow 

chetbrz

Quote from: Articifer Tom on November 24, 2020, 08:17:44 PM

Tom,

I ordered these parts:

Inner Bearing:           Napa - BR14130
Inner Bearing Race:   Napa - BR14274

Outer Bearing:           Napa - BR09074
Outer Bearing Race:   Napa - BR09194

Dust seal: CR 18242 from Northeast Parts  (northeastparts.com)

So far everything looks good.  Will install after thanksgiving.  King Pins done.

Articifer Tom

I see you have a different seal number . My truck maybe different . I was wondering if that innere number difference had anything to do with the radius problem from previous thread . Could not find drawings for both on Timken site . the one ending in 2  has been discontinued .

chetbrz

Tom

The seal number I got from John F. He recently replaced them on his car. I should get these seals on Saturday.

The Napa inner bearing fits properly and butts up against the spindle flat correctly.  So at this point I think these part numbers are good to go.

We'll see.

29UJohn

Regarding the bearings, in 2005 I checked every bearing and race. All had Timken numbers on them, which seems to be the common number still used for cross referencing roller bearings. Napa and many others use their own part numbers, but can be cross referenced with Timken numbers.

Regarding the front inner cone (bearing) the Timken number is 14132, but the Hollander Interchange Manuel also states, "Note: 14130 and 14131 fit"  that probably explains why some have these numbers on the inner bearings. (14130 was used on Fords until 47, and 14131 was used on Willys until 48, so there are probably more of these available).

Note, I have been told that "14132T has a tapered ID and will not fit". 

Regarding the inner cup (race), only 14274 is listed.

I replaced a front inner cup (race) and it was not a tight fit. I used a bearing bond that could fill small gaps and that solved the problem. You can get bearing bond that will fill certain ranges of gaps or looseness, all very small.

John
1929U 4 Dr

29UJohn

I received two new front inner seals last week.  Interesting enough, I ordered a National number, but received these two CR18242, which I knew were correct.

CR (Chicago Rawhide) seals have been around for many years, and their numbers also tend to be used for cross referencing.

I have a CR seal catalog that shows sizes and have used it for years to research seals, although it does not list applications.

The second seal in the picture is an original metal and felt seal from my car I saved for reference and curiosity.
John
1929U 4 Dr

Articifer Tom