• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Radiator & Grill

Started by Touring29, October 28, 2022, 08:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Touring29

I stumbled onto this for sale. The owner isn't sure what year it came from but it sure looks like ours and the grill shell is in a lot better shape. The radiator looks right too but he doesn't know anything about it. Do they look right for a 29U?

chetbrz

If the radiator emblem has Chrysler Plymouth under the ship, it came off a 28Q.

If the radiator emblem just has Plymouth under the ship, it came off a 29U.

Of course, that is if the emblem has never been changed.  Either way it would work on either car.

I hope this helps,  Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Touring29

Quote from: chetbrz on October 28, 2022, 10:13:04 PMIf the radiator emblem has Chrysler Plymouth under the ship, it came off a 28Q.

If the radiator emblem just has Plymouth under the ship, it came off a 29U.

Of course, that is if the emblem has never been changed.  Either way it would work on either car.

I hope this helps,  Chet...
That is exactly what I needed to know. Thanks Chet! I sent him a message asking what it has but either way I am going to try to get it. He lives near Indy but is going to be in Fort Smith for a couple of weeks so I may be making a road trip.

Touring29

The wife & I met Mike in Fort Smith and picked up the grill & radiator today. This sounds like a fairy tail but it was one of those deals just meant to be. He replied to a FB post that someone had made about a 30 grill sayin he had a 29. It was with some other stuff he had bought years ago. I just happened to see it and messaged him. He lives somewhere around Indy and didn't want to ship it but he was going to be working in Fort Smith this week.

There is a beautiful drive through the Winding Stair Mountains that starts in Talamina Oklahoma and ends in Mena Arkansas. We have done it several times in the fall and were planning on doing it this year. It is almost on the way to Fort Smith. The weather was perfect the fall colors were awesome and the grill is now in the back of my Corvette.

It looks like the whole thing was removed from a original car. The hoses are cut and even the old clamps are still there. My hope is that it came off a wrecked car decades ago and has been sitting in a shop somewhere and the radiator is still good. The grill is definitely good but will need to be rechromed. The one on our car would take a LOT of welding and patching to ever be decent.

chetbrz

Great find including the nice drive.
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Touring29

I separated the grill and radiator today and found a little rust on the inside of the grill but nothing serious. I will be getting it rechromed and it should come out like new. I checked the radiator by connecting the inlet and outlets together with a section o bike innertube and filled it with water. I found two tiny leaks around the hole for the crank. I'm going to get a shop to check it further and solder the leaks.

I am amazed at how good these parts turned out to be!

chetbrz

Congratulations when you finally get it installed post a picture.  :)

Chet