• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

How does the radiator mount?

Started by Touring29, November 26, 2022, 04:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Touring29

I have the radiator I found checked and ready to install when the grill shell comes back from the chrome shop. The radiator in it now isn't original and looks like its just bolted in with some bolts & big flat washers. I know that's not correct. The radiator and the frame have 4 big holes so I am guessing there should be some kind of rubber mount. Anyone have a picture so maybe I can fabricate something?

Russ T. Fender

On my 30-U there is nothing between the radiator mount and cross member. 

chetbrz

There are just 2 bolts that attach the radiator bottom to the frame.  The bottom can be insulated with some 1/8 inch or 1/4 inch rubber stock.  The rods on the top attach to the firewall and you can adjust and square the radiator.

Post a picture of what you have and we can better advise you.
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Russ T. Fender

The way the frame around the core is set on my car once it is bolted firmly in place it can't move so I don't think there is any reason for a pad.  That is unlike the way the radiator is mounted on my Model Ts where the radiator is supposed to be able to move a bit to compensate for the flexing of the frame so a leather pad is required.  That said, I think a small, very thin rubber pad, or better yet a bit of thin body welting, on each side where the bolt goes through to the cross member wouldn't hurt but I think you definitely want to avoid any movement down there. I bought my car from the original owner then drove it for 10 years without any radiator issues and when I removed the radiator during the restoration there wasn't anything there.  I can't swear that there wasn't something there from the factory but I think not. 

Touring29

I tried to post pictures but with the new format I can't figure out how. What has me puzzled is the holes in the bracket attached to the bottom of the radiator and the holes in the frame are about 1" in diameter.

Touring29

Here are the pictures of the radiator and the bottom of the crossmember it sits on.

chetbrz

This is not the correct radiator, but it is one that was fitted to my car prior to finding an original replacement radiator.  The point being is that it mounts the same. The bottom has two threaded studs that fit into the front frame.  They are bolted to the frame with washer and nut.

You cannot view this attachment.

The top of the radiator is attached to the firewall via two rods.

You might be missing the mounting studs.

I hope this helps, Chet
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Russ T. Fender

That is how the radiator on my 30-U is mounted.  The bolts that go through the cross member are welded to the frame of the radiator that surrounds the core.

Touring29

Here is a better picture of the mounting hole in the radiator. I am trying to figure out what I am missing here. Since the hole is 1 1/4" its going to need more than a bolt and a washer. I guess I could use a big fender washer but that doesn't seem like what they would have used. Maybe I should just cut a piece of metal to fit the hole with a 3/8" carriage bolt in the middle and weld it all in place to make a stud sticking out. 

chetbrz

That hole isn't used for mounting the radiator.  Its purpose is to accommodate for a rivet point on the front frame.

My car below...

Chet...

Touring29

Quote from: chetbrz on November 28, 2022, 09:23:34 AMThat hole isn't used for mounting the radiator.  Its purpose is to accommodate for a rivet point on the front frame.

My car below...

Chet...
Now I am really confused. The radiator I will be installing has no other holes studs threads or anything else to attach the bottom to the frame.

chetbrz

Talk with your radiator shop.  Given both radiators (new & old) they might be able to fabricate a solution. 

In any event someone will have to. 

Russ T. Fender

I'm thinking there is a big difference between the way your radiator sits and the way it is on the 30-U. This is my crossmember and all it has are the holes to accept the studs shown on Chet's picture.  There would be no reason for the holes on your radiator frame. Does your cross member have the rivets that require those holes? If not then perhaps you have the wrong radiator for your car.  Right now I have to admit that I'm as confused as you are.You cannot view this attachment.   

chetbrz

Not quite sure what that is and assumed it was some type of rivet.  Possibly not on the 30U since I thought the 30u had welded frames.  Either way the hole has nothing to do with mounting the radiator.  For mounting you need the 2 threaded studs.

Articifer Tom

Looks more like an elevator bolt ( large head 1/2" threaded body) .that is through a larger washer then 2 shims or one 1/4" shim rubber set to frame and washer ,lockwasher nut to bottom . Other rad's had stud welded directly on support . Most rusted bad.