• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Data books

Started by 1930, January 27, 2013, 04:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have asked this on the AACA forum and no-one recognizes what year and any details of these small booklets, un-dated. Some of them are Dodge and some Plymouth I have picked up over the years.

I am assuming maybe they were part of the original paperwork that came with the car. None of them have even a hint of a picture, only text. I am guessing 1937 or so but maybe one of you guys could pin-point it better for me

5 3/4 by 4 1/2
Jason Anderson

Tinkeys

Hi Jason !
I am assuming these books not mentioning a year if no pictures ?

Old Man

They are very similar in size and color to the booklet that was in the side pocket when you bought the car or truck new. Even the wording is the same. Except they're missing what vehicle they were for. 

Strange, arent they, what is that other forum, P 124 or sumpthin or other, its been a long time since I visited that site. Maybe someone there would know.

No no year, zilch, if I knew the later cars better I could prob. take a pretty good guess at year and model by the text.

EDIT: OK P 15 forum, forget it though, I cant remember my password, tried requesting it and it will not let me get past the security deal where I type in what its showing me only to still be denied.
Jason Anderson

chetbrz

What's described in the books ?
Do they seem like generic driving instructions that would apply to any car or are they more specific ?
Is there a table of contents ?
I suppose you looked for a copyright date.

My 2 cents, very interesting stuff though.

Chet
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Quote from: chetbrz on January 28, 2013, 08:42:25 PM
What's described in the books ?
Do they seem like generic driving instructions that would apply to any car or are they more specific ?
Is there a table of contents ?
I suppose you looked for a copyright date.

My 2 cents, very interesting stuff though.

Chet
Here you go Chet, good luck, may not be in the correct order.
Jason Anderson

Jason Anderson

Jason Anderson

Jason Anderson

I guess I mispoke, all the other are Dodge Brothers, I am thinking because of the Brothers it is prior to 38 or so. This is the only Plymouth.
Jason Anderson

chetbrz

The emblem on the cover looks like a 1933 radiator emblem.  I'm surprised that there isn't a printing date.

Oh we'll,  interesting stuff.
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Quote from: chetbrz on January 29, 2013, 08:25:22 PM
The emblem on the cover looks like a 1933 radiator emblem.  I'm surprised that there isn't a printing date.

Oh we'll,  interesting stuff.
So is there anything within the print that you spot that stands out as either certainly a 33 or maybe significantly later?

Did 33 only use this radiator emblem?

Did a 33 Plymouth come with the conventional instruction booklet that we are all accustomed to seeing I.E larger, popular format that we recognize shared amongst many Chrysler products of the era?

I did have someone recognize one of the Dodge books as a possibility of being a 31 based on the info within, does not make alot of sense to me though cause I have a 31 Dodge instruction booklet and cannot come up with a justifiable reason that there would have been two variations printed.

I guess these may be more interesting than I thought if they are truly that early which is where my interests lie.
Thanks
Jason Anderson

Old Man

That black and white 'narrowing to a point' ship crest started in 1931 with the PA Plymouth. The rad medallion was square before that. The '33 came with the conventional booklet with 'PLYMOUTH SIX' or words to that effect on their cover. There were about 4 issues in '33 both 1st and 2nd editions for the PC and then the PD as well as Canadian versions. But all had the description for the car on the cover. However they did have that page 'A Personal Message to Plymouth Owners' and the 'Lock your car' on the facing page up front like yours. But the very next page has a photo(?) of the front seat and dash area  of the car as in all the booklets I've ever seen from Chrysler. I have never seen these booklets in my 35 years of playing with old Chrysler cars. Where did you get them?

Quote from: Old Man on January 30, 2013, 03:42:39 PM
That black and white 'narrowing to a point' ship crest started in 1931 with the PA Plymouth. The rad medallion was square before that. The '33 came with the conventional booklet with 'PLYMOUTH SIX' or words to that effect on their cover. There were about 4 issues in '33 both 1st and 2nd editions for the PC and then the PD as well as Canadian versions. But all had the description for the car on the cover. However they did have that page 'A Personal Message to Plymouth Owners' and the 'Lock your car' on the facing page up front like yours. But the very next page has a photo(?) of the front seat and dash area  of the car as in all the booklets I've ever seen from Chrysler. I have never seen these booklets in my 35 years of playing with old Chrysler cars. Where did you get them?
Yes I have seen the conventional instruction booklets, pretty familiar with them. Maybe these were an alternative instruction booklet, Chrysler was looking at any and all possibilities during this time to save cost. I do not know where they came from for sure, e-bay would be a good bet though.  

I have had them for at least a few years now. I am going to take a good hard look at all of them and compare them, will comment if I come up with anything. Thanks
Jason Anderson

chetbrz

I contacted Jim Benjaminson and he forwarded this link to a long time collector of Chrysler documentation.  This was his response about the books.

Hello,

Jim B. forwarded your e-mail to me.   For nearly 50 years I have been collecting all Plymouth literature from 1928 to 2001.  

In the collection I have the following Owners Manuals:

1928 1st ed 6/28 * USA & Canada

2nd ed 8/28     "            "

3rd ed 10/28    "

1929 4th ed 1/29 * USA & Canada

5th ed 5/29 *    "            "

6th ed 8/29 *    "

With at least 10 printings for '28-'29  Plymouth cars. I would feel fairly sure these books are not from CO/C.

As far as the books,  If you would care to send me info on them I'd be willing to give them my best guess.

regards,

Andy  

I will drop him an email for more info.  No time this morning.

Chet...\

PS...  Jason,

Did you acquire these books locally?  They may have been printed by a large local car dealership and used for previously own vehicles.  The absence of a copyright date or printer info may point to a local regional printer.  Just a thought.