• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

steering box adjustments

Started by Articifer Tom, September 06, 2020, 01:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Articifer Tom

Anybody do it on vehicle . I tried ,but con not feel first adjustment the column . Do I have to loosen all other adjustment before starting ???    The BOI only says about loosening dash brackets and clamp bolt . And jacking up front end .
   i also have request in" looking for " forum .

chetbrz

Tom,

If your steering box is the same as my 29 sedan then I think there is something in the instruction book. I'll check tomorrow.  I believe there was a discussion about this. Check the forum search engine. 
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

chetbrz

Here Tom, This should help you with the adjustment:

see attached...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Articifer Tom

Thanks Chet , that pretty much what mine reads . It is first adjustment that worry's me . Did not seem able to loosen to tell if there was drag . Seem to be tighten until nut stopped then backed off .Was thinking maybe others were interfering with feel .. Or maybe it is just way to tight . And needs to back off more . 

Articifer Tom

Did anyone ever loosen up bolt and column nut . Does shaft then move freely . Maybe i have to remove Clum switch and other parts first ?
    I wanted to back off until loosened and bring up as book describes .

Articifer Tom

Was able to correct about 75 percent of my slack in wheel . Base a  you-tube of adjusting . I disconnected the drag link from pitman . This made it much easier to feel the slack and adjustment . I next loosen backwards order all adjustment and cycled wheel until i could feel the go , no-go . The thrust worm adjustment was made lose enough to see column move up and down the slightest , I then snugged and cycled and redid until i could easily feel the correct adjustment . This was my problem area and needed over a full turn in . I then moved to pitman shaft adjustment . Make sure side plate of third adjust was tight before starting . and adjusted this . Then the last, worm engagement to tooth gear ,was set . I noted lack of it being tighter in mid point . Conclusion over worn parts . I did notice it being very snug and max left /right of box . However . Did not realize that front end did not need full stroke of box , to achieve turning range . So maybe able to get more on third adjustment . All this greatly improved steering from 4-1/2" to about 1" play .
  Hope this help others . Was able to track down about six other Mopars that use my parts . Have a couple on stand-by .  Thanks .

chetbrz

Hi Tom,  sounds like you have this down. Good job thanks for sharing.  I am sure your comments will help someone else down the road.

Articifer Tom

Chet  do you have the numbers from casting on side of your U's steering box ?  Starts with C18358 . trying to determine if this serial or part number . Is on engine side near bottom next to shaft adjustment screw .
            Tom

chetbrz

Quote from: Articifer Tom on September 17, 2020, 10:10:15 AM
Chet  do you have the numbers from casting on side of your U's steering box ?  Starts with C18358 . trying to determine if this serial or part number . Is on engine side near bottom next to shaft adjustment screw .
            Tom

Yes probably a part number. Mine is C18358 or C18858 had to use a mirror.  Probably 18358 like you said.

Articifer Tom

Great , So now take it out  and send it to me  ;D . Nahh. I have a couple leads . Thanks .