• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Air Cleaner/Silencer Question

Started by racertb, September 21, 2020, 06:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

racertb

All:

Several years ago I found an air cleaner on eBay and had to have it as it looked like the correct one (and still does).  Just this past week, another one showed up and claimed it was NOS for a '29 Plymouth...I had to have it for $25!  I can tell you I paid a lot more for the one I bought a while ago.  The new one has part #41931, which shows for a later '28 and Canadian built U.  The part number for a '29 U is 43665 and "non-standard equipment".  Right or wrong, I believe my car to be an early U regardless. 

The one on the car now has a different number that is not in the parts book.  The last four numbers appear to be 9231; I can't make out the first number, but may be a 2 or a 7.  So, I don't know what this one goes to although it looks correct.  However, it never quit just right when I got it and had to make an adapter for it to fit in the carb throat.  Is it a Chrysler? Desoto? Dodge? Chevy or what? 

I'm going to put on the "new" one assuming it will fit without any "adapter" needed.  Just curious what your thoughts are and which air cleaner you may be using.  I have the original Carter RT-08 carburetor.

Pics attached.

Ted

chetbrz

Ted,

I believe my Air Cleaner is an original part but didn't remove it to check the part number.  I do have an RT08 Carb.

The air cleaner only fits into the carb if you loosen the screws that hold the choke cable in place.  Once the air Cleaner is in place you tighten theses screws to hold it in place.  I assume this is correct but have no documented proof.  Is this how yours works.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

racertb

Thanks Chet!  The new cleaner fits like a glove and attaches perfectly as you show in your photo.  For what it's worth, the one that was on there is slightly larger I'm trying to figure out what that one is supposed to go to.

Articifer Tom

May fit on RJH-08 Carter they are smaller and most had cleaner on outside with twowire clamp .