• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Shackle

Started by racertb, November 16, 2020, 08:36:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

racertb

All,

Please see attached photo.  This shackle is a little loose (rattles) on both the front and rear passenger side of the car.  Driver's side is tight.  It appears worn looking at the hole where pin is.  Are there ways to repair with an insert or bigger pin?  Or is this replace only.

Chet - was looking at your rebuild thread on this to get some ideas.

Ted

Russ T. Fender

Weld it closed and rebore the hole.  I had to do it on two of mine.  I used the one that was still tight as a template.  If you have welding capacity it is an easy quick fix.

Articifer Tom

Looks like roller is missing from pin . That would increase diameter . Check otherside . Also leafs look dry . I keep mine well oiled .

racertb

Thanks for the replies and tips.  I'll do more investigating and let you know what I find. Looks like I can hammer out the pin (?)

chetbrz

Hi Ted,

I can't help out with a repair fix but can tell you this.  You can have the springs remanufactured but nobody makes those helper springs.   So you don't want to lose them.   I believe you can remove that pin by using a C clamp on either side to take tension off the pin.  With the weight of the car on the springs I don't believe you would need to put much tension on the clamps to remove the pin.  This way you could either install a larger pin like Tom suggested or put a shim sleeve under the pin or a roller tube, again like Tom suggested.  Maybe contact a spring shop they might be able to make the proper shackle.   FYI, The shackle is pinned through the leaf sections.

If you are not experienced with a welder you might make the problem worse but I think Russ's solution is another option.

Good luck, Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Russ T. Fender

If I remember correctly the shackle hole is round with a slot cut in it and the pin has a tit on one end that slides through the slot so when you rotate the pin the tit keeps it from sliding back out.  I used a C clamp to compress the rebound spring and remove the pin.  I was missing one of the rebound springs and made one up from an old leaf I had laying around.  Springs are tempered and hardened so tapering the ends was a bit time consuming as you don't want to get them too hot.  They bend easily enough cold if you have a decent press and grinding the ends a bit at a time with a coarse grit grinding wheel works but takes time.  Does anyone know if cars equipped with shocks still had the rebound springs?

racertb

Thanks!  I'll try to get them off and either try a new pin and/or weld as well.  Honestly, I did think about a shim too. I just want them tightened up regardless mainly to quiet them down.

Ted

chetbrz

Quote from: Russ T. Fender on November 16, 2020, 11:27:42 AM
If I remember correctly the shackle hole is round with a slot cut in it and the pin has a tit on one end that slides through the slot so when you rotate the pin the tit keeps it from sliding back out.  I used a C clamp to compress the rebound spring and remove the pin.  I was missing one of the rebound springs and made one up from an old leaf I had laying around.  Springs are tempered and hardened so tapering the ends was a bit time consuming as you don't want to get them too hot.  They bend easily enough cold if you have a decent press and grinding the ends a bit at a time with a coarse grit grinding wheel works but takes time.  Does anyone know if cars equipped with shocks still had the rebound springs?

I can't say for sure but it would make sense that you wouldn't have these springs if you had shock absorbers.  My 2 cents.  We now know at least one person makes them.   :)
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

racertb

A few more pics.  This is the right rear (passenger) side.  It's very loose and probably is doing nothing other than making noise. 

First pic is underside, second has what looks like cloth/vulcanized disintegrating piece that someone put in years ago to quiet down.  Third pic is with this junk removed.  C-clamp does nothing for this pin.  Can't tell or see any thing that rolls; just looks like a pin with two head.  Also, can't see or feel a pin on underside where shackle would set into.  If I can get this out, will probably replace with thicker bolt.  Just wanting to tighten this all up and secure.  Thoughts or other ideas?

Articifer Tom

From 1914-1927 mech manual . Leafs lubed .

chetbrz

Quote from: Russ T. Fender on November 16, 2020, 11:27:42 AM

Reread Russ T's remarks above.  If the spring is loose the pin should also be able to turn.  If not probably rusted in place.  Also could be peened on both ends.  If you just want to eliminate the noise find a piece of rubber to wedge under the pin.  The C clamps are to compress the spring to allow the pin to turn.

racertb

Thanks for the chart Tom!

Chet - the pin spins in place and the ends are solid and round...unless rusted all together, there is no evidence that there is a spring in there to make it collapse to remove.  If I can somehow get off, then I'll try a bigger bolt and a nut.  Otherwise, I'll shim it to quiet it down.  In looking at these things, I'm assuming they're all original and never been touched.

Articifer Tom

I believe Chet means squeeze spring leafs . To loosen bolt  , then it drops to elongate hole for removal .

racertb

Got it, thanks!  New pics of what I removed below.  I assume this is original?  Going to work on the other loose one(s) and figure out the best way to fix.  Also, there is one missing (including the short helper spring) on the right rear front of spring.

Does anyone have a helper spring available or any related parts?  Just asking...thanks.

racertb

Fixed!  Nice, tight and quiet.  Will do a couple others then clean and lubricate the springs.  I have a lead on another helper spring and shackle for the one that is missing on the left rear.  Thanks everyone!