• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Engine pipe

Started by Russ T. Fender, April 07, 2022, 03:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ T. Fender

I am trying to order an engine pipe for my 30-U and was wondering if anyone knows if it is the same for all the 4 cylinder Plymouths.  The company I am dealing with has the patterns for a 1931 PA Sedan but is not sure if is the same for the 30-U. I do not have access right now to my master parts catalogue otherwise I would look to see if the part number is the same for both cars. Does anyone know for a fact that they are either the same or different or have access to the master catalogue to check this out?

chetbrz

Looking at the Master Parts List (April 1934).  The Q,U,& 30U all have different part numbers for the exhaust pipe.  The book states that the PA,PB,PC,PD exhaust pipe and muffler assembly are listed as a single part number for each. Don't know what that means ?

Try Kanter Auto Parts ( Kanter Auto Parts ) They show a kit for 1930 Plymouth.  I bought the 1929 kit from them 15 years ago.  Fine tuned it at a muffler shop.  The 1929 Plymouth Instruction Book shows a picture of the exhaust in the Lubrication Chart.  I don't have the 30U Book.

I hope this info helps you,

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Russ T. Fender

Thanks Chet that's very helpful.  I have a NOS muffler and tailpipe that I bought back in the 60's when you could get them at any auto parts place and never used them.   I will check with Kantor to see what they have in the way of an engine pipe.

Russ T. Fender

Checked with Kanter and they show the exhaust system as no longer available. Guess I will try to find someone locally who has the ability to bend pipe and is willing to do it. That didn't used to be a problem but today it seems like most outfits don't want to be bothered.  There is a shop near me with the equipment but they told me they couldn't help me.

chetbrz

Maybe someone else will provide some info.  I don't know the 30U but the 29 engine pipe is pretty simple.  One 90-degree bend and a slight offset.  That PA system.., could they send a picture of the parts maybe a little slicing and dicing could produce the needed parts.
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Articifer Tom

Do you have pic of what you need ? If you can not find a place i did my own .
You cannot view this attachment.

Russ T. Fender

I have a section of the engine pipe running from the exhaust manifold about 2/3rds of the way to the muffler.  The rest is now made up of flexible pipe.  The pipe itself is very simple with just one major bend and an offset to align it with the muffler. I thought about trying to make it up myself but was concerned about kinking the pipe at the bend and making the flared flange at the manifold end.  I am sure I can eventually find someone to make it up.  Waldron Exhaust is still looking through their records for the specs (they're the outfit that has the PA Sedan set up) and the exhaust pipe they show on their website for the PA looks very similar to what I need .  I can't believe there is much difference, if any, between the Q,U and 30-U, or the PA for that matter, but if the pipe Tom Shows in his picture is what the Q pipe looks like then there is a big difference at least between the Q and 30-U.
Tom I am interested in how you were able to make the bends without kinking.  I have a pipe bender that I have used for conduit but have never used it for anything as large as this. Also, did you make a flare at the manifold end or slip the pipe into the manifold and rely on the collar to hold it in place.  The piece of the engine pipe I have is flared and figuring out how to make that flare was another reason I was hoping to find someone with the right equipment to make up the engine pipe.You cannot view this attachment.

Articifer Tom

The hand bender in the picture is what I used to make the tail pipe you see . I did use exhaust pipe not electrical conduit . So it sounds like you need the special flare mouth coming out of manifold going down 16" with a little kick and back past engine mount to adjustable second pipe with it's small offset . Here is one I made and a practice piece .

Articifer Tom

You cannot view this attachment.

Articifer Tom

I made flare with the exhaust pipe machine . You can buy many adapters at LAS or even pipe expander tool . Although i never used a hand one . The piece you need if it is only small offset to muffler should be available from cutting out of any random exhaust pipe or from full length at shop . You will not get a one piece from manifold to muffler . You need that one joint to roll the off set in to fit nice and even get thur dust pan .

Russ T. Fender

Tom, the light finally went on with your last post.  I am not the best welder but I can certainly weld a section of pipe to what I have now to get it to the muffler.  It may not be pretty but it will be better than what I have now and it will give me time to try and track down someone who can make up what I need.  Thanks for all the help.