• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Brass cup to carburetor

Started by jjohn, January 14, 2023, 01:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjohn

Hello

The brass cup is not so good maybe I can make it straight so the screw can seal properly- and I wonder if it's possible to buy it somewhere or a complete carburetor for 1929.

chetbrz

You should be able to straighten the brass bowl.  These cabs are hard to find in working order.  The pot metal parts swell and make them hard to disassemble without damaging the carburetor. 

The carburetor was also used on chevy of the era.  Might find some parts searching under chevy.  The chevy used different jets but the rest is the same.  I had a chevy club guy in Virginia rebuild mine.  He did a good job making one from two sets of parts which I sent him. He used the correct jets for Plymouth.  It has been some time since and I don't know if he still does these carbs.     
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

jjohn

The brass bowl has been repaired several times so it is in bad shape.
I shall try to 3D-print a prototype in ABS material. Maybe it not can stand the heat from the motor.

Sorry, but what do you mean it have "different jets" ?

chetbrz

Quote from: jjohn on January 15, 2023, 03:54:33 AMSorry, but what do you mean it have "different jets" ?

Than a Chevy. You may be able to find a brass bowel on eBay. Just keep checking.
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Russ T. Fender

Brass stress fractures from vibration, it's not the heat.  I had 5 carburetors and only one had a good float bowl.  I swapped them all for a rebuilt unit.  I have other cars that have brass float bowls and I have successfully repaired them with silver solder.  After buffing it out silver solder looks like brass so the repairs are almost unnoticeable.  If the bowl is out of round you can anneal the brass and reshape it over a wood jig. Brass work hardens so if it is really out of shape you may need to anneal it a few times as you work it back into shape.

hursst

I have an extra brass cup, which is very straight, but unfortunately has two splits in it, one is 1 1/2 inches long and the other is about 1/2 an inch long.  Reminds me a little of our Liberty Bell.  If yours is completely unusable and if you can't find another one, maybe this can be silver soldered, as Russ mentions.  Let me know if you end up being interested.

You cannot view this attachment.

Articifer Tom

Early Chevrolet Parts sells new ones online for about 55 dollars .

chetbrz

Quote from: Articifer Tom on January 16, 2023, 09:07:26 PMEarly Chevrolet Parts sells new ones online for about 55 dollars .

Nice Tom,  Have you done business with them?

EARLY CHEVROLET PARTS
NEW, REPRODUCTION AND USED
Gary Wallace
600 Susan Road
St. Louis, Missouri 63129

Phone:  (314) 293-1991
E-Mail:  chev4cyl@charter.net
Web Page:  www.20schevyparts.com

Articifer Tom

Yes , brought replacement carb parts from,myself . Treated fair and fast .