• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Radiator cap for Moto Meter

Started by Touring29, February 07, 2023, 11:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Touring29

I would like to put a Moto Meter on our 29 when I install the correct radiator I have. I was given a locking cap with the Moto Meter hole but I don't think it's going to work. The tabs that engage the neck aren't clocked right and don't seem to fit even turned. I also think the meter will have to be removed to fold the hood back. Does anyone know what cap will work. I hate to buy a Moto Meter if I can't make it fit.

chetbrz

If you use a cap with a Motor Meter, like the one above.  You will have to remove the cap prior to opening either of the hood doors.  It's a real pain because you will most likely forget and damage the door paint.

As far as I know no one is making these anymore but all you need to do is drill the right hole for the motor meter you are going to install.  Repro winged caps are in the $300+ dollar range.  If you can find someone.  I have seen them at Hershey. 

http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Russ T. Fender

I would also like to put a motor meter  on my '30 Plymouth as I have one on all my other cars and find that they are very helpful in keeping track of engine operating temperature.  The issue that I see is that on my other cars the radiator caps thread into the radiator.  With the  Plymouth the cap has the tabs that engage the radiator so when you drill through the cap to mount the meter you are drilling through the portion of the cap that hold the tabs in alignment.  First of all I wouldn't want to destroy an original cap and second of all I don't know how you would be able to keep the tabs in proper alignment.  I just machined a new tab plate for my radiator cap as they had a tendency to rust away so the tabs no longer held and that was a job in and of itself. Does anyone know of a generic cap that can be used on the Plymouth radiator  and modified for a motor meter? 

chetbrz

This is what the bottom of mine looks like:

You cannot view this attachment.

Top View:

Driver's view:

http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Russ T. Fender

This is the original cap that I believe is correct for the early 30-U.  The piece with the tabs needs to be replaced and I have yet to find a replacement as the opening on the neck of the radiator is wider than most.  To mount a motor meter I would have to mill a section of the ridge off to get a flat surface and then drill through the section on the underside of the cap that keeps the tabs properly oriented.  The other  shiny cap is what I believe to be correct for the later 30-U and that is the one I am using on the car now.  I made up an insert for it which works but is does not sit as well as I would like.  This cap would also need to be milled for a motor meter but since it is NOS I would hate to cobble it up.
         You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.   

chetbrz

I understand your problem and it appears that you would have to do some major fabrication to accomplish the task.  If a 29 cap would fit on your car.  The wings on the old caps get broken off.  Maybe find one on eBay and grind the wings off.  Drill for the motor meter. Fit it to the car than have it re-chromed.

Just a thought.

Russ T. Fender

Sounds like it would work.  I'll keep my eyes open for one.

Touring29

I have one of the locking caps for a Model A and I don't see how to make it work. I too will be on the lookout for a broken or generic cap that might work. I think I if I get one set up I will use the cap I have except when I want to monitor the temp so the hood will open.

Russ T. Fender

At one time I had a plain generic cap with a motor meter for my Plymouth and I was able to open the hood without issue. Unfortunately, the last time I saw it was in 1972 and after moving the car three times in various states of disassembly it has disappeared.  I looked at Hershey this past October with no success so it's not like they're easy to find.  It's the diameter of the part with the tabs that is the problem because the neck of the radiator is wider than most.  I actually had to make that part up for the NOS cap I found because the cap and the inside parts were sold separately.

Marc28plym

How cool!  I have only the wings, no motor meter.  Thanks for sharing!

Touring29

Quote from: Russ T. Fender on February 11, 2023, 09:55:47 AMThis is the original cap that I believe is correct for the early 30-U.  The piece with the tabs needs to be replaced and I have yet to find a replacement as the opening on the neck of the radiator is wider than most.  To mount a motor meter I would have to mill a section of the ridge off to get a flat surface and then drill through the section on the underside of the cap that keeps the tabs properly oriented.  The other  shiny cap is what I believe to be correct for the later 30-U and that is the one I am using on the car now.  I made up an insert for it which works but is does not sit as well as I would like.  This cap would also need to be milled for a motor meter but since it is NOS I would hate to cobble it up.
        You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.   
I think the cap I have is the same as your later 30U. It looks good and no one I know knows the difference but I would still like a moto meter or a correct cap. The motor I bought has a temp gauge cobbled up to the hose outlet on the head. I might run it for a while and see what temp ours runs at but I wouldn't leave it on if we get the motor looking more show worthy.