• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Oil Vac

Started by 1930, October 14, 2012, 06:55:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I am part of a discussion on another forum concerning this set-up and will copy and paste the jist of this dialogue........... if i am not mistakeing if you have a vacume tank, doesn't the oil pump some how work the vacume tank. because on the side of the block on my 4 cylinder plymouth engine it says oil-vac where the oil pump is.........the oil-vac ( or vacuum fuel canister as we like to call it ) was operated in unison with the oil pump, I remember reading that this was to refute the tendency of losing vacuum when climbing a hill or what have you.

His truck is a 29 Dodge with the 4 cyl Plymouth engine.

I am wondering if anyone has seen this set-up on any of their Plymouth engines.

I am wondering where Oil Vac would be stamped on the block, seems odd that they would cast this writing into the truck engines but not the car. I am under the assumption that the truck engines were identical with the car except some of the bolt on items.

Can anyone add anything to help clear this up?
Jason Anderson

Doug

This doesn't answer your question, But I have my fuel vacuum attached to the intake manifold. I works fine except at idle I will get a rich mixture when the pump opens. My problem with attaching it to the oil pump is that I lose oil pressure and I am not sure if I have the correct fittings. So any information on this would be helpful.   

Can you post a picture of where you would attach it to the oil pump, is there any indicator on the engine block that stated Oil-vac
Jason Anderson

chetbrz

I am not quite sure what the question is but the oil pump on the early Plymouths provided the vacuum for the Vacuum fuel pump.  The oil pump provided more consistent vacuum then the manifold.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Quote from: chetbrz on October 14, 2012, 06:38:45 PM
I am not quite sure what the question is but the oil pump on the early Plymouths provided the vacuum for the Vacuum fuel pump.  The oil pump provided more consistent vacuum then the manifold.

Chet...
Thanks, I did not know this, do you have a photo of the connections/assy in place.

I am also curious if the engine block itself is marked Oil-vac as I am assuming this gentleman stated by this comment...........because on the side of the block on my 4 cylinder plymouth engine it says oil-vac where the oil pump is..............

Jason Anderson

chetbrz

Quote from: 1930 on October 14, 2012, 08:27:44 PM
Quote from: chetbrz on October 14, 2012, 06:38:45 PM

Chet...
Thanks, I did not know this, do you have a photo of the connections/assy in place.

I am also curious if the engine block itself is marked Oil-vac as I am assuming this gentleman stated by this comment...........because on the side of the block on my 4 cylinder plymouth engine it says oil-vac where the oil pump is..............

I haven't noticed the markings on the block and my car is not accessible at the moment.  Maybe someone else can verify.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Thanks, hopefully so.

Another person on another forum said he could and would post some pict. and if he can I may post them here with some more questions
Jason Anderson

Doug

My pump has the oil vac markings on it but like I said earlier when I connect the vacuum line to the oil pump I lose oil pressure. I attached two pictures on is before it was cleaned up and you can see the way the oil pump was plugged then the next is how I have it now. It;s not original but it works. 

I have some good pictures of this now and will post them in a day or three, have a bit of a flu right now and my mind is not on anything else but getting over this.
Jason Anderson

frankp

Checked my block and saw no marking, just on pump cover.

Re: no vacuum, I remember the gasket for the pump cover plate being "paper thin."  I made a new one of thicker material and lost vac.

The reason vac tank driven by oil pump was that, if oil pump quit working, eventually engine would run out of gas before engine was ruined for lack of lubrication.  This is the story I was told - you be the judge!  Chet's explanation is much better.
frankp
frank p

Here is a photo of that oil vac pump, I thought I had verified earlier that the earliest Plymouth's used a Kingston tank, is that correct?

I know this Oil -Vac is a Kingston set-up but I guess I was just not aware that it was driven thru the oil pump.

Was this system used on the 28-30 and then sometime during thirty changed to a mechanical pump?
Jason Anderson