• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

UVIRA Reflectors and Halogen bulbs

Started by 29UJohn, August 18, 2017, 09:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

29UJohn

I recently had my headlights rechromed.  I had the reflectors nickel plated and then sent them to Bill Atwood for his UVIRA coating. Bill still only charges $75 including return shipping.  I then installed 25 watt halogen bulbs from Bill Hirsch.  The first picture was taken with the lights off and a flash camera, while the second picture is with the headlights on.  They are much better than before.  The 25 watt bulbs draw about 4 amps each, which is about the same as the  30cp bulbs (#1000) I was using. The original equipped headlights had 21cp bulb with drew about 3 amps each.  Long ago I installed a voltage regulator in the generator and had the cutout converted to a diode with heat sink, both provided by Jim Peterson.
John
1929U 4 Dr

chetbrz

John,

What halogen bulb was used and did the socket need to be updated to allow the retrofit.

Tks,  Chet... 
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

29UJohn

The bulbs are listed as 6v 25/25w Ba15d #1000
The Ba15d indicates the socket style.
They fit in the original sockets, no modification needed.
They appear to be shorter in regards to the distance between the filament and the base. I had to extend them to the maximum distance to focus them properly.  I thought I might need a longer focusing screw, but I was able to focus it.
The shape of the bulb is different, but that doesn't seem to matter, except for the concern on focus adjustment.
John
1929U 4 Dr

Des28Qau

Hi Guys,
Just 2 cents worth disguard if you wish ,
I would install ( and have on a couple of cars) a relay/s (with a new fused B+ wire from the generator/alternator or battery) to both filaments of the globe (if used) on the side of the car with the longer headlight wires.
Relay/s can be fitted/inserted any wher eafter each headlight has its own wires (maybe near radiator) .
The switch and harness were designed to have a ~6+A load when new , with the new lights (~8A) & relay upgrade this will drop switch and loom/wiring load to ~4+A and give better voltage to both headlamps . Should you ever encounter a hick-up with the relay and/or connections you still have one headlight, and the chance of switch or switch wiring failure is reduced.
Regards,
     Des.
Des

29UJohn

When I rewired my car I went down to the next gauge on all the wires.  In recent years I have installed all LED lights, except for the headlights.  I did add a 10 gauge ground wire from the headlights to the battery.  I have considered adding a relay to the headlights, but have not had any problems. It might be good for the Culm switch though.
John
1929U 4 Dr