• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

current vehicle status plus a question

Started by imoore, April 27, 2016, 06:34:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imoore

Hey everyone. Hope all is well.
Just thought id share what has happened/happening to my tourer. So it all started with getting some rust repaired in the front fenders. which then led to replacing both valance panels. Then discovering more severe rust in the cowl lower sections to then finding some wet rot in the timber main rails.
The big decision was made to completely strip the car back to the chassis and begin a 'ground up rest'. Big task but am lucky I had 3 years of successful enjoyment of the car.
So at the moment the chassis has been wire brushed, sandblasted and primed. Ready for top coat.
The timber frame will be stripped and pieces that are damaged will be re produced (in theory). The rust in cowl will be cut out and new rust repair panels welded in.
I am not going for show room finish but more a good clean drivers car. A car set out for weekend adventures not just on bitumen.

Now the questions I have are:
Does anyone know what the S and I in circles mean on the chassis. They are stamped in both rails and cross beams.
I also have this number 4274 stamped on both rails at rear near fuel tank. Any ideas as to what these might mean.

Ian M
1928 Q tourer (Holden bodied)
Several vintage stationary engine

chetbrz

Hi Ian,

Wish I can help with your questions but unfortunately I don't have a clue.  I do want to thank you for the pictures.  I plan to start the same process soon.  Unfortunately still working on honey do's since I retired.  Currently have 3 open building permits maybe get the porch one closed out in the next 2 weeks.  I'm hoping that I can get started on the car by mid summer.  So in a way you are blazing the trail for me.

Chet..
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Gary 30U

Sure looks like a great project. Glad you got some time with it before a tear down.

Check to see if the numbers on the frame might have something to do with a serial number from Plymouth or Holden.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Gary R.

imoore

great project in deed. unfortunately i was hoping to never have the car this far apart. but when maintenance calls you just gotta do it.
the chassis is all top coated now. hopefully this coming weekend i can attach the axles. making it a rolling chassis again. haven't found any major surprises which is good. so far seems to be all straight forward.

ian

imoore

The chassis is now all painted. Axles are now under making it a rolling cab again. Has anyone replaced or modified there drag link. when disassembled i found that mine had worn very thin and starting to crack at joint. Are there repair patches or new drag links out there that anyone knows of.
I have also completely disassembled the wooden floor. thankfully it came apart very easy with no broken pieces. ready to re produce.
Will post an updated pic soon

Ian

hursst

Great to hear the project is going well so far and always looking forward to new pics.