• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

30U needs water pump help

Started by dixchief, May 29, 2016, 10:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dixchief

My pump is leaking pretty badly. Need a rebuild kit, complete unit or a reference to a shop that can do it.
TIA Richard

dixchief

Tom at Then-Now-Auto.com has ectensive knowledge re the old cars. They have parts and service for the mopars. He is sending me the rebuild parts. Previously, he supplief me with drag link parts and info. Check him out. Richard

chetbrz

Thanks Rich,   

The board seems to be very quit these days hopefully everyone is out enjoying their cars.  As for my 29 no water pump Thermal-Syphon system.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

dixchief

sent you a reply but I guess I didn't hit REPLY hard enough.
I repacked the pump and used lots of waterproof grease. It is driveable until I get the new parts. Love the 2 dr sedan. Room for 4+ and yet not oversized like the 4 dr.
Surprised to find the 2 dr sedan as rare as the coupes. Only about 8K of each. 50K 4 drs made.
Is your 29 the same block as the later 30U ( has water pump)?
Seems it would be different since the 30U has a huge opening to accept the waterpump.
Any other major differences?
Richard

chetbrz

Quote from: dixchief on June 07, 2016, 11:58:35 AM
Is your 29 the same block as the later 30U ( has water pump)?
Seems it would be different since the 30U has a huge opening to accept the waterpump.
Any other major differences?
Richard

Hi Rich,

Here is a reprint from Tod's web site - Plymouth: The First Decade
For Model info:  http://www.ply33.com/Models/30-U/

The 1930 Model U Plymouths had an "all steel" body. Externally the most visible change is to a wide radiator shell much more in keeping with the industry standard.  The fuel gauge is moved from the top of the tank and put on the dash and becomes an electrical instrument. Hydraulic shock absorbers replace the earlier friction type.  There were many running changes during production of the 30-U. Early production had a vacuum tank fuel pump. This changed to a mechanical fuel pump and a water pump was added. There were three different types of wire wheels used with three different bolt patterns. Early wood wheels were de-mountable rims while the later wood wheels were removable.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Gary 30U

Sorry to be so late to this issue, but some info for all.

Years ago I had water pump problems on my 30U. Would leak after every run.

One day I was talking to Ron at Automotive Friction Company in Damascus Oregon. I asked that if there were so many pools and spas out there why couldn't we find a modern ceramic seal that would work on my water pump. Ron stated he would like to work on that project, but he didn't have any pump cores left to play with.

I gave Ron one of my cores and he rebuilt it with new sealed bearing in and out. A new modern impeller for great water flow. And best of all a modern ceramic seal. He even bored the packing nut out to fit over the exposed bearing and fitted it so it looks like the original, even has the oil spouts.

Been down the road to a fair number of show and tours and NO problems.

Now I don't know what it might cost to have yours done this way because he did mine for free as research and development.

If you contact them about doing yours be sure to tell them just what you want, not just a common rebuild

Automotive Friction Co., 20521 SW Hwy 212, Damascus ,OR 97089, ph. 800-545-9088

Happy Motoring,

Gary R.