• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Babbitt to inserts?

Started by Gary 30U, May 25, 2011, 01:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary 30U

I am looking for any insight you folks might have. I heard a rumor that there is a conversion process available to change the babbitt mains in the four cyl cars to common insert bearings.

If anyone knows anything about this process, what is involved, who might perform this work, and costs PLEASE advise.

Thanks, Gary
from rainy Oregon

Tinkeys

Hi Gary !
I would be interested as well (Tony)

1929luv

This process is comen in Model "A"s.  I am not in favor of it at all. It is the easy way out for those who donot know how to pour babbit.  They do not last as long and the babbit on the inserts is not very thick. When the get bad the get the crank quickly.  I has a tendecy to be a noisy engine also.  You will ruin a block to turn it out for bearings if it takes the same process a an "A".  These are my thought I will put a properly built babbit engine against a inserted engine any day!!!! Good luck Craig

Gary 30U

Thanks Craig.

Any other toughts.

Gary

Tinkeys

Will poured metal bearing rods stand up to more power?
I know they will be fine if left standard !

Rusty

My thought on it is that the babbit bearings were standard practice for most pre war stuff.  They work fine on stock orginial engines.  Very few of these old cars will be stressed today.  We tend drive them on weekends, to car shows, not daily drivers like they were in 1929.  A property poured babbit will last the life the car.  You have to remember the oil of yesterday were crap compared to modern stuff.  We change the oil our restored cars too much any way now, I least I do. The problem I can see on keeping them babbit is finding a guy who still does babbit pouring.  Likewise, to find a shop that can convert them to insert correctly and not make a bigger problem is also hard to find, I would bet harder.
I have bunch of old stuff and I have always just rebabbited them, no problems yet.

my 2 cents,
rusty
I also have a guy here in town that does babbit bearings and advertises such in Hemmings so I am a little spoiled.

Gary 30U

Thanks Guys,

I'm with you as I figure as long as we have someone around that does babbit correctly that is the way to go. I just thought if a bunch of you knew of a better way I would consider it.

I will advise on that fellow that had his 28 done.

Gary

Tinkeys

Hi Gary !
How are you going with engine balance ? Very interested as my engine has a few issues .

Gary 30U

Things are much better with the vibration problem. I found that I had a bad rear motor mount and had them revulcanized and that helped a lot. Still some minor vibration, but not sure what the original was like. Know that they come out with floating power, which was supposed to help with vibration problems, so maybe the 4 cyl is just supposed to have some.

Been to a couple of cruise ins and got best pre-31 at one show.

Yours is really looking good and see you have had it out as well.

Happy Motoring , Gary

Tinkeys

Yes thankyou Gary !
Congratulations on your best pre - 31 it will be a long time before i can try for a similar class.