• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Anybody Live Close to Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, United States

Started by wellery, February 09, 2012, 05:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wellery

Hi All

Anybody live close to Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, United States as there is a set of wheels for the 29Ply on ebay that I thought of purchasing but I need to find some where to store until I can arrange freight to Australia - if anyone else is bidding on them let me know and i will not bid against you.

Cheers

Wayne

Gary 30U

Wayne, They look pretty good. Be sure to ask any questions before you buy.

I'm a long way from Ohio, but if you want to have them sent to me here in Oregon I'll hold them for you.

I just tore my spare wheels apart to have them respoked before I put them on my car. Sold my spare chassis so have to get them done so I can put my old ones on the spare chassis. Cost here is $240.00 per wheel to have new spokes.

Gary

chetbrz

Gary,

Who is doing the work ?

Chet...

PS... Wayne if they can ship to Oregon they might just as well ship directly to Australia.
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Gary 30U

Chet, The fellow here is Jim Kanne. He has been doing wood wheels forever. He is the one that ended up with the wood wheel colllection from Harrah's. It had been sold twice before he got it and there were still over 2000 wheels in the collection. He has jigs for almost any wood wheel.

He actually sold his business to a fellow in Vancouver, WA (who I have not yet meeet)about a year ago, but still very active in the building of wheels to make sure it is done right.

When I was tearing mine apart I found that one of the rear habs had lead filling the void between the end of the spokes and the hub. They had used the short front wheel spokes and just filled the void. Jim says that there is a company in California (he said the name, but I don't remember it) that does it that way. It would seem the car would ride on the bolts not on the spokes.

Anyway you can contact Jim Kanne at 503-638-5275.

Happy Motoring, Gary

Tinkeys

Hi Gary !
          I have torn down a spare wheel that I have to match the the 1st rear that I did on 30 u and found that front and rear spokes are different length and I would prefere my spokes to ride on the hub rather than the bolts and they also have to be press fit in and will take load better ,I would say that. Bolts would be there to hold them straight against hub not load bearing down,but then I could be wrong.

chetbrz

Quote from: Tinkeys on February 12, 2012, 12:23:48 AM
Hi Gary !
        I would prefere my spokes to ride on the hub rather than the bolts and they also have to be press fit in and will take load better ,I would say that. Bolts would be there to hold them straight against hub not load bearing down,but then I could be wrong.

I agree, As far as the spoke length is concerned are the hub diameters the same?  I would think not.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Gary 30U

Hub diameters. The rear hub diameter is much smaller than the front because all the rear does is slide over the tappered axle. The front hub is much larger and holds the inner and outer bearings that ride on the spindle. Therefore the front spokes are much shorter than the rear.

Note: the spokes are also cut at an angle face between the spokes. This allows that the spokes get tighter as they are pressed into the hub.

They are supposed to ride on the center hub and the brake drum and hub only hold them in alignment. They should not ride on the hub bolts.

Gary

Tinkeys

Thank you Gary !
                       As I had found when stripping down wheels I am about 1/2 way though 2nd rear wheel it's all In high fill 2K got new coach bolts after top coat will assemble it still a few weeks away !