• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

30U oil consumption

Started by p4jim, March 26, 2012, 04:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

p4jim

This year i hope to lower the oil consumption of my 30U.  It is using about a quart every 40 miles and seems to have a lot of "blow by".  The blow by is enough to require stopping the engine to add oil.  With the engine running the blow-by will not allow oil to go down the filler tube.  The compression is right at 65 pounds and the plugs don't seem to be fouled.  (although I haven't started it for a couple of months and my memory may not be correct).  Could this be a valve guide problem?  The engine sat idle for years before coming to me.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Regards, jim 

SDGlenn

Jim. I would guess that the Oil Rings (Bottom ring) are carboned up or just stuck from oil, or a funk from aluminum build up from the pistons? , also from sitting a long period. Regardless, you need new rings, not just a clean up job. , from sitting a long period (you didn't say how long) This probable would be the scenario that would be your best to hope for, rather than bad cylinder walls.  lol  Good luck with that, hopefully we will have some warm weather now, always nicer to work with the garage doors open. lol  I have heard of a product that you put in your cylinders that is supposed to free up stuck rings, I don't know if that would help thou, never heard anybody that tryed it say that it did. Personnally, I don't think valve guides could use that amount of oil.

SD Glenn
SDGlenn

Doug

I am going out on a limb here. Are you sure it is using that much oil. My U takes quite a while to let the oil drain back in the pan to get a good reading. And most any engine is hard to pour oil in to when it is running. If you were burnning that much oil I would think there would be a lot of smoke. Just my thought

p4jim

Thanks for the comments.  I did forget to mention the smoke.  There is enough smoke to stop tail gaters.  I'll start looking for gaskets.  The rings will wait till the head is off.
Thanks again.  jim

Gary 30U

Jim, If you need gaskets, Olson's Gaskets, 3059 Opdai Road E., Port Orchard, WA 98366, ph 360-871-1207 or email info@olsonsgaskets.com will have what you need, full sets or individual pieces. I have used them many times and they are great.

Gary

p4jim

Thanks Gary, I'll give them a call.  Also who is the wheel wright in your area?  I have his address from the National meet but asking you now is much easier than finding it.  Regards, jim

Gary 30U

Jim, His name is Jim Kanne and I can drive right to his house, but right now I can't find his card with all the info on it. Tomorrow I am busy all day pricing stuff for the Plymouth Club for the Portland Swap Meet. I will get in touch weiwth Jim the first of the week and get back to you.

Gary

Gary 30U

Jim, Finally got back to the board.

The wheelrights name is Jim Kanne, 1805 SW Parrulo Way, West Linn, OR 97068 and phone is 503-638-5275. Sorry no email.

Gary

p4jim

autopsy report on oil consumption.  Broken top compression ring in #1 cylinder.  Also bad rod bearing and cylinder is out of round. Time for an overhaul.  Good news, plenty of cylinder left to bore.