• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Juice brakes

Started by Rusty, April 26, 2012, 06:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty

Would any one know the first year dodge offered juice brakes?  Did they have them before Plymouths were made?
Rusty

chetbrz

Rusty,

In 1927, The Dodge Fast Four with a 108-inch wheelbase made its debut in June of that year. With its light weight and 40 hp engine, the Fast Four had a top speed over 60 mph. The single-plate clutch was adopted in January, 1927, followed shortly after by Dodge's move to the standard SAE shift pattern transmission. Four-wheel brakes came in November.  Whether they were hydrolic or not is the key question.

By 1928 Chrysler purchased Dodge and shortly after by 1931 the only cars sporting hydrolic brakes were Chrysler, Dodge, Desoto, Plymouth, Auburn, Franklin, Reo, Flint, and Graham. GM and Ford still had cable-operated mechanical brakes.

Walter P. put hydraulic brakes in his Chrysler 50 in 1924.

Lot of info at allpar.com

http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/dodge-cars.html

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Gary 30U

I was at a show this past weekend and the guy behind me had an original 1927 Chrysler coupe. It only had 2 wheel brakes on the rear and they were mechanical exterior band on steel drums.

He said this was the "cheep" moel and didn't know about the brakes on the upgraded model.

Happy Motoring,
Gary R.

Rusty

Thanks.  These cars get changed so much over 80 years, hard to know what is original at times.  I always thought the brakes were pretty good on my Plymouth. I wonder how well rear only mechanical drums work?  The original drivers of these cars did not the traffic or texting while driving issues to deal with.
Rusty

I did add a third brake light, does make the back end more "bright" while stopping.

28 models were the first offered by Dodge with hydraulic brakes, interstingly enough lougheed worked with the Graham Bros in the mid twenties and so as far as I can remember ( I can easily verify if there is any interest ) it was Graham trucks that debuted this braking system in a big way
Jason Anderson

Old Man

Chrysler played fast and loose with the truth about their hydraulic brakes. I have ads that say " like every Chrysler ever made this 1935 Plymouth has hydraulic brakes". Wrong! In 1924,the 1st year of Chrylser, they had split brakes with mechanical on the rear and hydraulics on the front. There is some indication the very first Chrysler 4s had mechanicals all around. Whether any of those got out is not known. But like Gary 30U says they still had rear mechanicals in 1927. External contracting at that. But by 1928 all Chrysler products had hydraulics all around with a mechanical band brake on the rear of the transmission for a parking/emergency brake. This setup would not change for 20 some years or until the parking brake went to an under dash pull chromed 'T' or 'L' and then to a pedal.  

SDGlenn

Hey "Old Man", Welcome to the form.  It is great to get some new input to some of our problems and projects. You seem to be pretty well informed on the old cars, were you around when they came out? lol  Whats your car? We like pictures......
Take care of you, and hope to hear more in the future.
SD Glenn
SDGlenn