• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

loose shifter

Started by Rusty, June 12, 2012, 12:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty

I was over at SDglenn's house and we took apart the shifter mech that he had out of this 29 and found how why it is so loose.  Mine also has a lot of play in the shifter.  When shifting into third, I have to have the shifter far to the passenger side and then I hit my wife's knee when I shift into third.  We think we found out why and how to fix.  

There is a pin on the top of the shift mech , passenger side.  This pin should be tight.  When you move the shifter, you can see/feel this pn move, if so , you have problems.  Mine move some.

Rusty

THis is the under side of the mech.  First lift up the locking key way, this is located on the part of the mech that is toward the engine (I will call front)

Rusty

drive the center rod out the front by hitting the back with a punch.  THere are two small ball bearing that are in a hole in the center rod.  THese will fall out, DO not lose.  THen drive the outer rods out the back with a long punch.  There is a larger but only one ball that holds the shifter fork to the shifter rod.  One ball bearing per shifter fork.

Rusty

The shifter lever is held in the cast iron housings by a large spring .  This spring is held up by three "bosses" that are cast into the housing.  Use a long screw driver to pop each one loose.

Rusty

These is where the problem is .  On the ball of the shift lever, there is a key way.  On the photo you can see how much it is worn..  It should be a straight milled slot.  This is were the slop is.  To fix, it will need to be welded, then machined/milled.  There is also some wear a were the shifter engages into the top of the shifter forks but that is small potatos. 

Rusty

The pin is also very worn.  It should be round and fit into the slot tight.  It was also loose in the cast iron housing.  A new pin will need to be made.  It was preened (????spelling) at the factory to hold it in place

Rusty

Rusty

You may need to bore the hole in the case out to make it truely round again.  This is a top down shot, it was round orginially.  You can see how the sides are worn.

Rusty

You will need to preen or weld the pin back in place.  Then just reassemble in reverse order.  A tip,  the large ball bear that goes in the shifter fork , there is a small spring in the fork, put the ball bearing in place, put the fork in a vise, use a screw driver to hold the ball down onto the spring and then use the center shifter rod pushed in from the other side of the fork to hold the ball bearing down on the spring.  This then holds the ball hearing down, then then insert this on the side shifter rods, as you slowly drive the outer shifter rods "home", they push out this center rod.  This way the ball bearing is in place .

Rusty

Once the side rods are in place, then push in the center rod.  leave out about 1/2 inch, then rotate this about 90 degrees.  This will allow the two small ball bearing to drop in the hole in the center shifter rod.  Then turn 90 degrees and push into place.  Just need to hammer back in the key way.
In this photo, look close,  each shifter fork has a half moon that faces the center shifter rod.  Once this rod is turned 90 degrees, the bearing drop right in

Rusty

The main problem is going to find a machine shop that is willing to do these small type jobs.  Most want production runs.  We put back the shifter like we found it.  I plan on fixing my shifter this winter.  Right now with the weather nice, I am driving the car and just will be careful with the wide shifts into third.

Hope this helps
rusty and SDglen 

Gary 30U

Excellent breakdown and step by step instruction. I guess I can tighten mine up this fall as well.

Gary, Happy Motoring

wellery

Rusty

How many do you want?

Wayne