• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Red Head?

Started by racertb, August 08, 2012, 01:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

racertb

No, I'm not talking about women ( :D), but who can give me information on the "Red Head" high compression head for our Plymouths?  I've seen and heard very little about this and this "option" was supposedly standard on the roadsters...

Has anybody seen one? Had one?  Is the head painted red as opposed to the silver dome?

Just curious to know if this really existed...

29plycoop

I did see a Red Head on a 1948 Plymouth at the Indy Swap Meet but have not seen one on a '29. Can not help with any info on that one.
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.

racertb

It looks like I may have read the parts manual wrong, but I want to go back and see.  It sounds like the red head didn't come out until '32.  Can anyone else confirm or deny this?

chetbrz

I have been communicating with Jim Benjaminson.  He wrote the Plymouth section of the "Standard Catalog of American Cars"  He can't seem to be able to put his hands on the source research material but is looking to verify the Red Head question.  Hopefully we will have an answer soon.  He has verified that it was an option now to clarify when it was available.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Gary 30U

Looking at my parts book "PLYMOUTH MASTER PARTS LIST" for all models prior to 1934 it has the following listing for heads.

Cylinder Head  Q --- part number 42721
Cylinder Head  U --- part number 301074
Cylinder Head (silver dome) 30-U --- part number 310271
Cylinder Head (silver dome) PA --- part number 394996
Cylinder Head ...PAX, PBX (small bore engine) --- part number 376819
Cylinder Head (silver dome) -- PB ---part number 387542
Cylinder Head (red head) (also includes 385441 cover) PB --- part number 390864
Cylinder Head (silver dome) (use 381552 tim.cov.) PC --- part number 610638
Cylinder Head (red head) (use 385440 tim.cov.) PC  --- part number 610639
Cylinder Head (aluminum) (service package) PC, PD ---part number 615811
Cylinder Head (red head) PCX (small bore engine) --- part number 603074
Cylinder Head ((silver dome) --PCX up to engine PCX-1371 (use 381533 timing hole cover) and after engine PCX-1371 (use 385432 timing hole cover) (small bore engine)
Cylinder Head (silver dome) PD --- Part number 610650
Cylinder Head (red head)  PD --- part number 610652
Cylinder Head PDX (small bore engine) --- Part number 610654

It appears that there is a reference for the "red head" for the PB, PC and PD - interesting that these call for a different timing gear cover

There is a reference for the "aluminum head" for the PC and PD - different head gasket, studs, and washers
These are all the references to Cylinder head. There are a lot of listings for studs, washers etc.

Hope this helps

Gary R. - Happy Motoring

Tinkeys

Hi Gary !
You are a wealth of information !
         Excellent work !!!