• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Gasket Material - Intake to Exhaust

Started by racertb, April 18, 2015, 04:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

racertb

Looking for where I can find an intake to exhaust gasket, or the proper material to make one.  The material I bought a few months ago did not last, made of paper and metal and for high temperatures.  Also, I had to make three of the same to fit.  Sometimes the ones they have on eBay are not like mine, as they have three holes (maybe for those with the heater?).  Mine is the one (probably like yours) that has two stud holes and the oblong hole (intake) in the middle.

I looked on Bernbaum's site and there was nothing, so I may call him and/or Tome Hannaford on Monday to ask.

Does anyone know if these were originally copper or what they were?

Thanks...

imoore

I had the same issue with the exhaust gaskets blowing.
After 4 tries of different materials. I investigated the issue and found the 2 mateing surfaces were not flat.
I think I started a topic on it.
Will try and find it for you.
You might have the same issue.
Keeping in mind the original manifold to block gaskets were copper aspestos rings

Ian
1928 Q tourer (Holden bodied)
Several vintage stationary engine

racertb

Thanks Ian.  The copper gasket from the exhaust manifold to the block is not the issue (although I could replace if I replace the other).  Need to replace the gasket between the intake and exhaust manifolds.  This is where it blew out bad and shown in another thread.  The gap is huge, about 1/8" to 3/16" so will have to double or triple up as it was in the past before I first tried to fix.  I have another intake that I put in place and still the same gap, even when I tightened down.

While I have this apart and until I get some gaskets or gasket material, going to take apart the carb to clean and rebuild with the kit and float I have. 

Old Man

Again I'm going back in my memory but I seem to remember all the 4s,which were basically the same engine,(except the '28 Maxwell) used individual copper rings for manifold gaskets. You may want to go to a metal shop that caters to the public and see if you can buy a sheet of copper. The thicker the better. Copper is soft and will conform to irregularities. That's why they used it. Several layers cut in circles could stand in for the originals. The original copper rings crushed down and sealed and would not deteriorate with heat and pressure. Most car parts stores up here carry rolls of cut-your-own gasket material for water jackets and manifolds. The manifold stuff seems to have asbestos in it. (They also sell cork rolls.) From reading these posts over the years it seems we Canucks have access to more stuff than you Yanks. If you're not too far from the border you could go over into Canada and buy it at a Canadian Tire store. Every town and city has one,or several,and they sell all this stuff. I know Chet will know what I'm talking about. Mac's Ford in Tonawanda N.Y. has the gasket stuff in their catalog or did. But I dont' think they sold sheet copper. And I agree that the mating surface of the manifolds are not perfect after 80 odd years and should be tested,with a machinist's steel ruler, to make sure they are "flat" or "in line" whichever. I chased a head gasket blowing fault one Summer that turned out to be not heat related at all, it was a warped head. .20" skimmed by the NAPA machine shop and the problem went away.                 

racertb

Thanks for the reply Old Man...I'll let you know how it works out.

29UJohn

After wrestling with problems with that center hot spot gasket (intake to exhaust) - I had the surfaces machined; and bought new gaskets numerous times of various materials, including copper over asbestos.  I kept a box of spare gaskets - still have them.  Finally I broke down and used high temp gasket maker/sealer from Permatex.  I have never had any problems since, and that has been over ten years now.
John
1929U 4 Dr

Gary 30U

The easyest answer is to call Sandi at Olson's Gaskets in Port Orchard, WA at 360-871-1207. He has been in the gasket business forever. I just got a brand new set of gaskets for my 30U rebuild job. He will have the CORRECT gaskets for your job. Try him at www.olsongasket.com

Happy Motoring, Gary R.

racertb

Thanks for the replies.  For now, I ended up using Mr. Gasket exhaust gasket material, 3 pieces together.  In between each piece and on each manifold, I used some Permatex Ultra Copper to help seal. I also replaced the exhaust manifold gasket on the block where the exhaust manifold bolts on.  I found that the copper gasket there was not sealing well and was destroyed when I took it off.  I had some spare gaskets laying around and found a Best (brand) exhaust manifold gasket that I'm using for now.

imoore

Hope it fixes your issue. i have never had much success with doubling up gaskets. but i am not a fan of gasket glue. i believe the only time a sealant is required is when the item was not fitted with a gasket (like modern engines) or if it is to seal a thread.

Ian
1928 Q tourer (Holden bodied)
Several vintage stationary engine