• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Reproduction Handles

Started by 29UJohn, January 14, 2017, 09:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

29UJohn

Attached is a picture of the model handles that Mike Butters showed me.  Do the three on the left all look correct?  I'll ask him about the missing knob and the dimensions.
John
1929U 4 Dr

frankp

John,

Those look good!  I measure the door window about 3 3/4", door about 4 5/8" and the windshield (far right) about 2 15/16"

You may want to ask about base/escutcheon diameter and internal shaft hole width, also.  What I'm calling the base, is the slightly tapered portion that fits into the escutcheon This base has two holes on a diameter that the attaching pin is placed.

Did he provide cost?

frank
frank p

29UJohn

Thanks!
Mike charges $125 for the interior door handle, $145 for the window winder handle, and $115 for the T- Handle.
John
1929U 4 Dr

frankp

What metal does he use?  Does the cost include nickel plating?
frank p

29UJohn

I do not know what type metal he uses, but the cost includes triple chrome plating.  He does not do them in stainless steel.
John
1929U 4 Dr

frankp

I wonder if he could do triple nickel?  Platers I've spoken with in the past said they put chrome over nickel.  Nickel is the correct finish in the interior.
frank p

29UJohn

I am sure he can do them in nickle if that's what you prefer. We did discuss using nickel or chrome.  I read an article recently about when they started switching from nickle to chrome, I believe it was in Skinned Knuckles. It is not clear to me whether the 29 Plymouth interior handles were nickle or chrome.  I think the club will allow either, do you know?

The normal process for a triple coat is copper followed by nickle followed by Chrome.  I think if you want nickle they just stop after the nickle coat.
John
1929U 4 Dr

frankp

I had all interior done in chrome and have been slowly changing to nickel as I needed to removed various pieces.  I believe the club wants nickel for authenticity, but you could check to verify.  The pieces I have pictured have the original finish and don't look to be chrome to me.
frank p

29UJohn

Frank,
Thanks.  This is a bit frustrating.  The Judging Guide for 28-39 states for "Internal Trim and Instruments" states, "Nickel-plated parts should be nickel" but does not state which parts those are.  No mention is made for the 28-29.  However, for 34, 36 and 37 the guide does state,"Interior bright work must be nickel plated."  I guess if the 1937 had nickle interior trim, the 28-29s would too.  Thanks!

Also - the guide elsewhere states for the 28-29,"Pin stripe outlined wood graining on the sedan cowling."  I have not seen this.

John
1929U 4 Dr

Gary 30U

Have not delt with her for a while, but there was a Marge Verdone, in Newmanstown, PA. that did the our handles in stainless. Easy to nickel plate (the correct finish). If I remember correctly they where about 100-125 each as well.
Try 1-717-949-3341 or email VERDONES@everlink. com

Happy Motoring
Gary R.

29UJohn

I have been told that Marge Verdone passed away.  I have not been able to find out if anyone has continued her work.

Don Sommer works in Stainless, if that is preferred. 
John
1929U 4 Dr

chetbrz

Dear All,

I am very interested in purchasing a complete set of interior hardware for my 4 door 29U.
Qty - 4 - Window cranks
Qty - 4 - Interior Door handles
Qty - 2 - T handles

I hope that once a proper vender is determined we might be able to negotiate a suitable price for the volume of our combined order which will benefit all in need. 

Please advise, Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Gary 30U

Sorry, giving bad info. Tried to contact Verdone's this morning, but the numbers are no longer valid. Guess the previous comment about her passing might be right.

I would like to get a set of handles for my 30U coupe. Need 2 door handles, 2 window cranks, and the short handle for the windshield mechanism.

Happy Motoring

Gary R.

frankp

John,

Thanks for explaining "triple chrome."

At this time, I would commit to 1 each door handle, window crank and Tee handle.

Re: woodgrain on cowl, is a puzzle to me.  Have not seen on Q, U, 30U, but then the total of all models I've seen is 7, excluding mine.  Dave's 29 and a 30U are the only true survivors I've seen.  Some judging info is very clear, e.g. engine color, other not so much.  Rubber running board and front floor mat.  Rubber , ok, pattern?  ribs/inch?

frank
frank p

29UJohn

All,
I spoke to Mike Butters again today.  He is going to make me a set for my 29 Ply 4 door.  They will be Nickle.  It will be about 8 weeks.  He uses an alloy of zinc, copper and aluminum.  He says it is durable and is easy for him to work with as for casting.  He can chrome them or do them in  nickle.   These are for the standard 3/8 inch square drive.  He drills the 1/8 pin hole.  He said he would work up a price for a set of 4-4-2 (4 door, 4 window, and 2 T-handles).  I'll let you know.

I am working with him on the escutcheons. Will let you know about those.

BTW - I am not purchasing a windshield handle because my headliner was installed too low years ago and I have to use a T-handle there too.

Are the 30U handles the same as the 29U?
John
1929U 4 Dr