• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Radiator Problem - Overheating

Started by racertb, April 15, 2012, 10:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chetbrz

Quote from: Rusty on April 26, 2012, 06:34:20 PM
This is what mine did.  The block was rebuilt so at that time I had the freeze plugs out and flushed the block.  Mine would go about 3 miles like clock work and over heat.  It could idle for 15 minutes and not over heat but exactly 3 miles , boom.  I had it checked by a local radiator shop ,twice, both times they checked it and said it was ok.  I got a new core and that fixed all problems.  I think that on a thermo sipon system, it really needs to be clean and not blocked as there is no pressure in the system ( no water pump ).  I also had tried two gallons of vinager in the rad and ran the engine for 10 to 15 minutes.   Did not help.
Rusty.

Rusty,

I think this is good advise.  Cleaning out all the crap is the answer.  You need good water flow.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

racertb

Well, I think she might be fixed for now...really didn't do much of anyting except pour a gallon of distilled water into the radiator.  It may have been too low and that(according to the owner's manual) can cause over heating.  Or, something may have corrected itself...took it on a 5 mile ride last week to be safe and no overheating.  This was after idling for 25 minutes in the garage.  Prior to this, the car would over heat after the first couple of miles...

This morning, I took her out for approximately 20 miles with no issue.  Filled up on gas, put air in the tires and even went through (and sat for a few minutes in the Duncan Donuts drive thru!) without a problem.  Went do to my local Advance Auto Parts store and bought some Water Wetter that I haven't put in yet.  I've used it in the past and had good results.

Keeping my fingers crossed for now!